Monday, November 01, 2010, 02:15 pm PT (05:15 pm ET)
Target to sell Apple's iPhone at 846 stores starting Nov. 7Confirming previous rumors, Target announced Monday that it will begin selling Apple's iPhone in time for the holiday season, as sales of the handset will begin at 846 of the U.S. retailer's stores on Nov. 7.
Target will offer both the iPhone 4 and iPhone 3GS, and customers will be able to purchase the handset with quick in-store activation. The iPhone will be sold as a part of the Target Mobile centers located in the company's retail stores.
"At Target we continue to offer our guests the best in electronics, so we're happy to add iPhone to our Target Mobile offerings," said Mark Shindele, senior vice president of merchandising with Target. "With expert support from Target Mobile specialists and in-store activation, our guests will be able to leave the store with a new, working iPhone 3GS or iPhone 4 in-hand."
Last month, AppleInsider first reported that Target would be the next major third-party retailer to sell Apple's iPhone. The company also began selling the iPad on Oct. 3.
The Minneapolis, Minn.-based retailer is in the process of adding mobile phone centers to about 850 of its 1,743 stores in time for the holiday shopping season. The Target Mobile centers are being done in partnership with Radio Shack, which will also provide the tools that allow customers to activate the handset in-store.
On Topic: iPhone
- Galaxy Note 3 phablet accounts for just 1/10 of Samsung's 2013 premium phone sales
- Fiverr lets users buy & sell services anywhere with new iPhone app
- iPhone 5s now shipping from Apple's online store within 24 hours
- Apple's iPhone 5s, 5c available on Straight Talk & NET10 starting Friday
- Apple catches up with iPhone 5s demand, achieves full availability at its stores