Wednesday, November 10, 2010, 01:20 pm PT (04:20 pm ET)
Apple releases Mac OS X 10.6.5 with no mention of AirPrintApple on Wednesday released Mac OS X 10.6.5, the latest security and maintenance update for its Snow Leopard operating system, but documentation accompanying the release made no mention of AirPrint.
Apple's official documentation on Mac OS X 10.6.5 mentions a number of fixes and improvements. But the latest version of Snow Leopard was also supposed to enable AirPrint wireless printer sharing with devices running iOS 4.2.
Rumors cropped up this week that Apple could delay that support. It was also expected to arrive for PC users with the forthcoming release of iTunes 10.1.
The update is 680.1MB and is available via Software Update. It is recommended for all users of Snow Leopard, and includes a number of security fixes.
The full list of general fixes and improvements in Mac OS X 10.6.5, according to Apple, includes:
- Improves reliability with Microsoft Exchange servers.
- Addresses performance of some image-processing operations in iPhoto and Aperture.
- Addresses stability and performance of graphics applications and games.
- Resolves a delay between print jobs.
- Addresses a printing issue for some HP printers connected to an AirPort Extreme.
- Resolves an issue when dragging contacts from Address Book to iCal.
- Addresses an issue in which dragging an item from a stack causes the Dock to not automatically hide.
- Resolves an issue in which Wikipedia information may not display correctly in Dictionary.
- Improves performance of MainStage on certain Macs.
- Resolves spacing issues with OpenType fonts.
- Improves reliability with some Bluetooth braille displays.
- Resolves a VoiceOver issue when browsing some websites with Safari 5.
- Improves Bluetooth pairing with Magic Trackpad.
- Resolves performance issues with third-party displays that use InstaPort technology.
- Add SSL support for transferring files with iDisk.
- Resolves an issue when opening 4-up Photo Booth pictures in Preview.
- Addresses keyboard responsiveness issues in the Dock when Spaces is turned on.
- Resolves an issue syncing Address Book with Google.
- Fixes an issue when replying to a Mail message sent by a person whose name contains certain characters such as é or ü.
- Improves performance for users bound to an Active Directory domain.
- Improves reliability of Ethernet connections.
- Systems with a Mac Pro RAID Card (Early 2009) installed can now be put to sleep.
- Improves reliability of fibre channel connections, resolving a potential Xsan volume availability issue.
- Adds RAW image compatibility for additional digital cameras.
The arrival of Mac OS X 10.6.5 on Wednesday confirms a rumor that predicted the release. That same report also indicated that Apple would release iTunes 10.1 on Wednesday, and iOS 4.2 on Friday, both of which remain to be seen.
On Topic: Mac OS X
- Apple releases OS X 10.9.5 Mavericks with reliability enhancements, includes Safari 7.0.6
- Apple releases new OS X Yosemite betas for developers, public beta participants
- Apple Watch, AirDrop, iBeacon & Continuity coax advanced features from Bluetooth & WiFi
- VMWare releases Fusion 7 with support for OS X Yosemite and Retina optimization
- Apple issues first iCloud for Windows beta with iCloud Drive support