We are currently experiencing server issues, please excuse any mess. More details are availble here.
Apple releases iTunes 10.1 with support for iOS 4.2, AirPlayApple on Friday released iTunes 10.1, the latest version of its media playing software, which users will need to install the forthcoming iOS 4.2 update for the iPhone and iPad.
iTunes 10.1 is available for both Mac and Windows via software update or direct from Apple. It weighs in at 90.63 MB for Mac, 78.10 MB for 32-bit Windows, and 78.98 MB for 64-bit Windows.
Features in the new version of iTunes, according to Apple, include:
- Use AirPlay to instantly and wirelessly stream videos from iTunes to the all-new Apple TV.
- Sync with your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch with iOS 4.2.
- Provides a number of important stability and performance improvements.
The update makes no mention of AirPrint, Apple's forthcoming wireless printing standard for iOS devices. For Windows users, iTunes 10.1 was supposed to enable sharing of printers to devices like the iPhone and iPad.
But this week, reports began to surface that Apple would be cutting features from AirPrint, specifically the ability to print to a shared printer. Support for ePrint-enabled devices will remain when iOS 4.2 is released.
Windows users aren't the only ones who will miss out on shared printer support. On Wednesday, Apple released Mac OS X 10.6.5 also without the functionality, which was apparently pulled at the last minute. Some, however, have found a workaround to reenable printer sharing in the latest update to Snow Leopard.
On Topic: iTunes
- Apple reveals algorithm behind Apple Music mixes, execs discuss past and future of service
- Drake's 'Views' exceeds 1B streams on Apple Music
- Drake debuts new short film as Apple Music exclusive
- Apple to debut 'Spoken Editions' iTunes category, turn written news into audio podcasts
- Music industry heads towards recovery on streaming services like Spotify & Apple Music