Camera lens supplier selected for Apple's second-generation iPad - rumorRumors that a Taiwanese company has been selected to exclusively supply camera lens modules for Apple's forthcoming second-generation iPad have been unsurprisingly met with a "no comment."
Market rumors in Taiwan have suggested that Largan Precision was selected as the sole supplier of lens modules for the forthcoming iPad upgrade, according to DigiTimes. In a filing with the Taiwan Stock Exchange, Largan refused to comment.
The report made no mention of how many megapixels the cameras might be, or even how many cameras might be included on the new iPad. Largan reportedly supplies 5-megapixel lenses for the iPhone 4.
Rumors of a camera-equipped iPad have swirled for months, and some evidence has even suggested that Apple originally planned at one point to include a camera in the first-generation model. However, Tuesday's rumor is the first time that Largan Precision has been named as a potential camera lens component supplier.
As reported by AppleInsider in September, Apple plans to aggressively push its FaceTime video chat open standard by releasing a new iPad model equipped with a camera. FaceTime was introduced in June, when the iPhone 4 launched with a forward-facing camera.
Some reports have claimed that, like the iPhone 4, Apple's second-generation iPad will include two cameras — one forward-facing, and one rear-facing. While a device like the iPad, with a 9.7-inch screen, may not be practical for shooting photos with a rear-facing camera, its inclusion could be utilized for augmented reality applications and games.
On Topic: iPad
- Intel splits on Atom after the mobile relevance of x86 whacked by Apple's Ax
- Review: Logi Base Smart Connector charging dock is the best way to juice your iPad Pro
- Apple's iPad Pro beating Microsoft Surface in 'detachable' tablet market
- First look: Logi Base is the first device to charge your iPad Pro via Smart Connector
- With iPad Pro and True Tone, Apple finds reason to nerd out over iOS color management