Film 'Tron Legacy' will be Apple's only iAd on iPad until 2011Though iAd support came with the release of iOS 4.2 for iPad in November, the first interactive advertisement for iPad arrives today for the Disney film "Tron Legacy."
According to Advertising Age, the iAd mobile advertisement is the only one planned for the iPad this year. A wide launch of iAds for iPad is expected in early 2011.
The rich, full-screen iPad ad reportedly includes touch navigation and video all without having to exit an application and launch a browser, just like iAds on the iPhone. Features of the ad include nearly 10 minutes of video, images from the movie, a theater locator with showtimes, and a preview of the movie soundtrack with an option to purchase from iTunes, all from within the ad.
The advertisement, which launches Tuesday, will be featured in iPad applications such as TV Guide. Though iAds have not previously appeared, support for them came with the release of iOS 4.2 in November.
Apple is set to launch its iAd mobile advertising network in Europe this month, and will partner with Dentsu to launch its network in Japan in early 2011.
In October, it was reported that Adidas canceled its $10 million iAd contract because it was allegedly frustrated by Apple's control over the iAd creative process. Anonymous mobile industry executives reportedly claimed that Apple Chief Executive Steve Jobs was "being too much of a control freak."
But Ad Age reported Tuesday that an Apple spokesperson said many of the initial issues with the iAd service have been ironed out.
On Topic: iPad
- Apple iPad sales slumped 18% in Q1, but Cook still sees 'bright future' for platform
- I Bet My Life: Microsoft HoloLens perfectly targets its core competency
- How AMD and Nvidia lost the mobile GPU chip business to Apple -- with help from Samsung and Google
- Apple exploring smarter Smart Cover, new gesture controls for iPad
- How Intel lost the mobile chip business to Apple's Ax ARM Application Processors