Apple's iTunes 10.1.1 update causing crashes instead of fixing themSome users are reporting that updating to iTunes 10.1.1, which is supposed to resolve issues that could cause it to crash, causes iTunes to crash, leaving them unable to open the application.
Apple released a minor update to its iTunes software on Wednesday, ostensibly resolving issues that could cause iTunes to unexpectedly quit.
However, several AppleInsider readers have reported that, after installing the update, iTunes immediately crashes upon opening, rendering the program unusable.
Users have also reported the issue on the Apple Support discussion forums. In one thread, users detail their problems with iTunes crashing upon opening and failing to load after upgrading to iTunes 10.1.1.
Some users report receiving the following Problem Report: "iTunes cannot be opened because of a problem. Check with the developer to make sure iTunes works with this version of Mac OS X. You may need to install any available updates for the application and Mac OS X."
Several posters were able to resolve the crashing issue by downloading iTunes directly from Apple's website instead of through Software Update, and then overwriting the previously updated software.
Another issue users are reporting is being unable to download and install the iTunes update through Software Update. According to forum user Gioker, Software Update displays an error message stating, "The update iTunes can't be saved - a networking error has occurred. Cannot open file (-3001) Make sure you can connect to the internet and try again," despite being connected to the internet. Apple's standalone iTunes installer appears to run without any problems.
Apple's previous update, iTunes 10.1, was released in November, adding support for iOS 4.2 and AirPlay functionality with the Apple TV.
On Topic: iTunes
- Tidal music service expected to relaunch with exclusives that could hurt Apple's Beats Music
- Apple reportedly puts Trent Reznor in charge of redesigned Beats Music app, presses forward with iTunes Radio revamp
- Yet another outage hits Apple's App Store & iTunes, preventing searches, discovery & downloads
- Apple debuts programatic iAd buys on iTunes Radio, 'Customer Match' demographic targeting
- US streaming music revenues eclipse CD sales for first time, as rebrand of Apple's Beats looms