Saturday, March 12, 2011, 12:00 am PT (03:00 am ET)
AT&T reportedly shipping iPad 2 with delivery as early as MondayAn iPad 2 customer on AT&T notes his order shipped today with free two day delivery, with an estimated arrival date of Monday.
Apple's own online orders were reported to ship within "3 to 5 business days," resulting delivery between March 18-25. If AT&T's delivery report is correct, it appears it is poised to beat Apple's delivery dates by four days to almost two weeks.
Delivery dates are often only estimates, and Apple has been known to ship deliveries earlier than the conservative outlook it often offers. However, it also appears the company may have focused its available inventory at retail stores, with the intent of creating a sensational, public launch.
The launch of the Verizon iPhone 4 last month went so smoothly, thanks to advanced orders that were largely handled online, that critics complained that there weren't long enough lines and called into question the success of the new product, even after Verizon announced that it had sold more iPhone 4s than in any other smartphone launch.
iPad 2 lines appear to be Apple's longest yet, setting records in length in multiple cities while selling out all available inventory in many stores.
On Topic: AT&T
- 'We're sorry:' Apple experiences numerous iPhone 6 preorder problems from crushing demand
- Overnight preorders of iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus set new record for Apple
- Apple adds AT&T Next as online payment option for iPhone buyers
- Early upgrade programs at US carriers forecast to help grow sales of Apple's iPhone
- FCC clears AT&T's $1.3B buyout of Leap Wireless, iPhone 5 coming to Cricket customers