We are currently experiencing server issues, please excuse any mess. More details are availble here.
Apple issues Thunderbolt fixes for new MacBook Pros, iMacsApple this week released a series of updates for its newest MacBook Pro notebooks and iMac desktops equipped with the high-speed Thunderbolt port, addressing issues related to performance and stability.
Two updates are available for MacBook Pro owners: MacBook Pro Software Update 1.4, a 132.69MB download, and MacBook Pro EFI Update 2.1, a 3.06MB update. Both are available direct from Apple's website or via Software Update.
Update 1.4 is said to include fixes that improve graphics stability, address issues with external display support and 3D performance, and also improve Thunderbolt device support.
Meanwhile, EFI Update 2.1 includes fixes that resolve an issue with Turbo Mode in Boot Camp, and improves performance and stability for graphics and Thunderbolt. A user's power cord must be connected and plugged in to a working power source when applying this update, as it updates the EFI firmware on the MacBook Pro.
Owners of the new iMacs just released this week get Mac OS X 10.6.7 Update for iMac (early 2011) 1.0, a 382.56MB update, and iMac EFI Update 1.6, weighing in at 6.1MB. The Mac OS X update applies a number of fixes for the Snow Leopard operating system, including:
- Improve the reliability of Back to My Mac
- Resolves an issue when transferring files to certain SMB servers
- Addresses various minor Mac App Store bugs
- Addresses minor FaceTime performance issues
- Addresses issues with graphics stability and 3D performance
- Improves external display compatibility
- Improves Thunderbolt device support
Finally, the iMac EFI Update 1.6 includes fixes that improve the performance and stability for the new high-speed Thunderbolt port. The update will restart any iMacs it is installed on, at which point a gray screen will appear with a status bar to indicate the progress of the update.
Apple has already quickly released a handful of updates for its new iMac desktops. On Tuesday, when the all-in-one computers first went on sale, a Boot Camp update was also available for download.
Apple updated its iMac line on Tuesday, adding faster Sandy Bridge Intel quad-core processors, a FaceTime HD camera, and the new Thunderbolt port. Thunderbolt debuted in February in Apple's refreshed MacBook Pros.
On Topic: MacBook Pro
- Nvidia working with Apple on graphics for 'revolutionary' new Mac products
- Apple polling MacBook Pro owners on use of headphone jack, other ports
- Tim Cook email response tells sender to 'stay tuned' for Mac refresh
- Alleged Apple trademark filings reveal 'Iris Engine,' 'AirPod Case,' 'Home Hub,' 'Control Strip,' 'Smart Button'
- Intel Kaby Lake CPUs suitable for MacBook Pro refresh said to be in manufacturers' hands