Apple releases iTunes Festival London 2011 iOS app with live streamingApple has released a new application for iOS devices that will allow users to stream live performances from the iTunes Festival London 2011, and even watch them on an HDTV via AirPlay.
The new, free software (iTunes link) from Apple is a universal application designed for both the iPhone and iPad. It requires a device running iOS 4.1 or later, and weighs in at 9.7MB.
"Download the official app now to explore the lineup in more detail and watch the shows LIVE or on demand for a limited period from wherever you are in the world," the official description reads. "You can even invite your friends to watch on the big screen with AirPlay support for streaming the gigs to your Apple TV."
The festival features performances by 62 bands over 31 nights in London, England. Artists include Foo Fighters, Paul Simon, Duran Duran and Moby.
Also performing at this year's festival is Coldplay, a band with a history of ties to Apple. In addition to participating in an Apple commercial, the band's frontman, Chris Martin, performed at Apple's annual iPod event last September, and Apple CEO Steve Jobs was even spotted at a Coldplay concert in 2009.
The broadcasts will be produced by Live Nation, according to All Things D. In addition to Apple's official application, the performances will also be streamed on Live Nation's iOS App Store software.
The iTunes Festival was first held in 2007 at the Institute of Contemporary Arts. This year's event will take place at The Roundhouse in Camden Town, where it has been held in years past.
Tickets for the iTunes Festival are free, and are given to users who apply and participate in contests on the official site. Of course, with the iOS application, anyone will be able to watch free around the world.
The full lineup of this year's event with dates is included below:
- Jul. 1: Paul Simon
- Jul. 2: Seasick Steve + Smoke Fairies
- Jul. 3: Manic Street Preachers + Dry the River + Ramona. Studio Sessions: Ukulele for Dummies
- Jul. 4: Linkin Park + Neon Trees
- Jul. 5: Beady Eye. Studio Sessions: Gwyneth Paltrow
- Jul. 6: Arctic Monkeys + Miles Kane
- Jul. 7: ADELE
- Jul. 8: Bruno Mars + Ed Sheeran
- Jul. 9: My Chemical Romance + Evaline
- Jul. 10: Glasvegas + Cat's Eyes. Studio Sessions: Beatsteaks
- Jul. 11: Foo Fighters + Jimmy Eat World
- Jul. 12: The Script + Loick Essien
- Jul. 13: White Lies + The Naked and Famous + Alice Gold
- Jul. 14: Friendly Fires + SBTRKT
- Jul. 15: Jessie J + Rizzle Kicks. Studio Sessions: David Nicholls
- Jul. 16: Duran Duran + Ben L'Oncle Soul
- Jul. 17: Raphael Saadiq + Bluey Robinson. Studio Sessions: Selah Sue + MEDI
- Jul. 18: Rumer + Caitlin Rose. Studio Sessions: Mark Radcliffe
- Jul. 19: Katy B + Jamie Woon
- Jul. 20: The Wanted + Dionne Bromfield + Encore
- Jul. 21: Swedish House Mafia
- Jul. 22: Coldplay + The Pierces
- Jul. 23: Mogwai + Errors
- Jul. 24: Noah & The Whale + Fixers
- Jul. 25: Lang Lang + 2CELLOS
- Jul. 26: Magnetic Man + Alex Clare
- Jul. 27: Example + Wretch 32 + Yasmin
- Jul. 28: Chase & Status + Nero
- Jul. 29: Kasabian
- Jul. 30: James Morrison + Benjamin Francis Leftwich
- Jul. 31: Moby + Silver Apples
On Topic: iTunes
- Kanye West blames conflict between Apple Music & Tidal for missing projects
- Apple's Beats 1 head DJ Zane Lowe giving music keynote at 2017 SXSW
- Apple debuts Apple Music ad touting revamped UI, custom playlists, Beats 1
- Jimmy Iovine talks past, future of Apple Music in new interview
- Apple opens up iTunes donations for Hurricane Matthew relief