Apple updates Mac mini with Thunderbolt, 2X graphics and CPU powerApple on Wednesday updated the Mac mini with next generation Intel core processors, new discrete graphics, high-speed Thunderbolt I/O technology and Mac OS X Lion at entry-level pricing starting at just $599.
At just 7.7-inches square and 1.4-inches thin, the new Mac mini maintains its compact aluminum design while delivering twice the processor and graphics performance of the previous generation. Customers can choose from three different configurations of Mac mini with the latest dual-core Intel Core i5 or Intel Core i7 processors, AMD Radeon HD 6630M discrete graphics, or a quad-core Intel Core i7 powered server configuration.
Designed without an optical disc drive, Mac mini can access the optical drives on other PCs and Macs, and works with the MacBook Air SuperDrive. Configure-to-order options include up to 8 GBs of memory, a faster 7200 RPM hard drive and a 256GB solid state drive.
Mac mini delivers the speed and expandability that makes it perfect for the desktop, living room or office, said Philip Schiller, Apples senior vice president of Worldwide Product Marketing. With faster processors, more powerful graphics and Thunderbolt in an incredibly compact, aluminum design, the new Mac mini is more versatile than ever.
Mac mini now comes with Thunderbolt I/O technology for expansion possibilities never before available to Mac mini users. With a Thunderbolt port, Mac mini can connect to peripherals such as high-performance storage devices, RAID arrays and the new Apple Thunderbolt Display, a crisp 27-inch IPS widescreen display thats great for making FaceTime HD video calls, surfing the Web and viewing movies and photos.
With ultra-fast Wi-Fi, users can wirelessly download apps from the Mac App Store, get music and movies from iTunes, back up data to Time Capsule and share files with AirDrop, which makes transferring files quick and easy. Mac also mini includes Bluetooth for wireless peripherals and four USB ports for easy connectivity for the wired and wireless devices you use every day.
At the same time, Apple said the new Mac mini remains the worlds most energy efficient desktop, meets Energy Star 5.2 requirements and achieves EPEAT Gold status. Mac mini has a highly recyclable aluminum enclosure, PVC-free components and cables, no brominated flame retardants and features material-efficient system and packaging designs.
Every new Mac mini comes with Mac OS X Lion, the latest major release of Mac OS X,, and iLife apps for creating and sharing great photos, movies and music.
- Size and Weight
- Height: 1.4 inches (3.6 cm)
- Width: 7.7 inches (19.7 cm)
- Depth: 7.7 inches (19.7 cm)
- Weight: 2.7 pounds (1.22kg)
- 2.3GHz dual-core Intel Core i5 with 3MB on-chip shared L3 cache, $599
- 2.5GHz dual-core Intel Core i5 with 3MB on-chip shared L3 cache, $700 (Configurable to 2.7GHz dual-core Intel Core i7, only at the Apple Online Store)
- 2.3GHz: 2GB of 1333MHz DDR3 memory (Configurable to 4GB or 8GB, only at the Apple Online Store)
- 2.5Ghz: 4GB of 1333MHz DDR3 memory (Configurable to 8GB, only at the Apple Online Store)
- 500GB (5400-rpm) hard drive
- Both models configurable to 750GB (7200-rpm) hard drive; 2.5GHz model also configurable to 256GB solid-state drive or 256GB solid-state drive and 750GB (7200-rpm) hard drive, only at the Apple Online Store.
- 2.3GHz: Intel HD Graphics 3000 processor with 288MB of DDR3 SDRAM shared with main memory
- 2.5GHz: AMD Radeon HD 6630M graphics processor with 256MB of GDDR5 memory
- Thunderbolt port with support for up to 2560-by-1600 resolution
- HDMI port with support for up to 1920-by-1200 resolution
- DVI output using HDMI to DVI Adapter (included)
- Support for dual display and video mirroring
- Audio line in minijack (digital/analog)
- Audio line out/headphone minijack (digital/analog)
- HDMI port supports multichannel audio output
- Support for Apple iPhone headset with microphone
- Built-in speaker
- Thunderbolt port (up to 10 Gbps)
- FireWire 800 port (up to 800 Mbps)
- Four USB 2.0 ports (up to 480 Mbps)
- HDMI port
- SDXC card slot
- Gigabit Ethernet port
- Audio in/out
- 802.11n Wi-Fi wireless networking;4 IEEE 802.11a/b/g compatible
- Bluetooth 4.0 wireless technology
- 10/100/1000BASE-T Ethernet (RJ-45 connector)
- Line voltage: 100-240V AC
- Frequency: 50Hz to 60Hz, single phase
- Maximum continuous power: 85W
- Operating temperature: 50° to 95° F (10° to 35° C)
- Storage temperature: -40° to 116° F (-40° to 47° C)
- Relative humidity: 5% to 95% noncondensing
- Maximum altitude: 10,000 feet
- Typical acoustical performance: Sound pressure level (operator position): 16 dBA at idle
- Mac mini
HDMI to DVI Adapter
- Power cord
- Printed and electronic documentation
Connections and Expansion
Electrical and Operating Requirements
In the Box
Pricing & Availability
The new Mac mini is available through the Apple Store today and in Apples retail stores and Apple Authorized Resellers starting July 21.
- The 2.3 GHz dual-core Intel Core i5 Mac mini with 2GB of memory and a 500GB hard drive starts at a suggested retail price of $599 (US), with options to add memory up to 8GB and a 750GB hard drive.
- The 2.5 GHz dual-core Intel Core i5 Mac mini with 4GB of memory and a 500GB hard drive starts at a suggested retail price of $799 (US), with options to upgrade to a 2.7GHz dual-core Core i7 processor, up to 8GB of memory, and a 750GB hard drive with an option to add or replace with a 256GB solid state drive.
- The 2.0 GHz quad-core Intel Core i7 Mac mini with Lion Server, 4GB of memory and dual 500GB hard drives starts at a suggested retail price of $999 (US). Options include adding memory up to 8GB, two 750GB hard drives, or up to two 256GB solid state drives.
On Topic: Current Hardware
- New iMac models with upgraded CPUs & displays to drive 1M unit sales in Q3, analyst says
- Rumor: Supply chain expects Apple to grow Mac production in second half of 2015
- Apple's Back to School 2015 promo offers $200 Beats Solo2 headphones with purchase of new Mac
- Apple fixes 2015 MacBook Pro flash storage issue in firmware update
- Apple's new iPod touch debuts underclocked but powerful A8 SoC, Bluetooth 4.1