Apple seeds iOS 5 beta 6 alongside new iTunes, Apple TV, and iWork for iOS betasApple on Friday provided members of its developer community with the sixth external beta of its forthcoming iOS 5.0 operating system alongside new betas of iTunes 10.5 and Apple TV software that will include support for the new software.
More specifically, Apple issued iOS 5 beta 6 build 9A5302b, iTunes 10.5 beta 6, Apple TV Software beta 5, iWork for iOS beta 2, and Xcode 4.2 and iOS 5 SDK beta 6.
The 144MB (153MB CDMA) update arrives roughly two weeks after Apple issued beta 5 of iOS 5.0, which introduced few noticeable changes over beta 4 when the company began testing over-the-air (OTA) updates to developer's iOS test devices.
Due for release this fall, iOS 5.0 includes over 200 new features that will be available to iPhone, iPad and iPod touch. Among them are Notification Center, an innovative way to easily view and manage notifications in one place without interruption; iMessage, a new messaging service that lets users easily send text messages, photos and videos between all iOS devices; and Newsstand, a new way to purchase and organize newspaper and magazine subscriptions.
With iOS 5.0, users will also gain access to the company's iCloud service and will be able to activate and set up their iOS device right out of the box, downloading software updates over the air with no computer required.
For more on iOS 5.0, please see AppleInsider's pair of ongoing series: Inside iOS 5.0 and Inside iCloud
Meanwhile, readers who discover new features in the latest beta can share their findings by tipping news (at) appleinsider (dot) com.
On Topic: iPhone
- Apple shipped one billionth iOS device in Q1, expects continued iPhone momentum
- Apple Pay launches at 200K self-service stations, including parking, laundry & vending machines
- Briefly: Apple TV gains 120 Sports channel, Twitter adds group messaging
- Apple Inc's once slower Q2 now getting a boost from China's Lunar New Year holiday
- Canalys says Apple sold more smartphones in China than any other brand over the holidays