Friday, August 19, 2011, 10:23 am PT (01:23 pm ET)
Apple seeds iOS 5 beta 6 alongside new iTunes, Apple TV, and iWork for iOS betasApple on Friday provided members of its developer community with the sixth external beta of its forthcoming iOS 5.0 operating system alongside new betas of iTunes 10.5 and Apple TV software that will include support for the new software.
More specifically, Apple issued iOS 5 beta 6 build 9A5302b, iTunes 10.5 beta 6, Apple TV Software beta 5, iWork for iOS beta 2, and Xcode 4.2 and iOS 5 SDK beta 6.
The 144MB (153MB CDMA) update arrives roughly two weeks after Apple issued beta 5 of iOS 5.0, which introduced few noticeable changes over beta 4 when the company began testing over-the-air (OTA) updates to developer's iOS test devices.
Due for release this fall, iOS 5.0 includes over 200 new features that will be available to iPhone, iPad and iPod touch. Among them are Notification Center, an innovative way to easily view and manage notifications in one place without interruption; iMessage, a new messaging service that lets users easily send text messages, photos and videos between all iOS devices; and Newsstand, a new way to purchase and organize newspaper and magazine subscriptions.
With iOS 5.0, users will also gain access to the company's iCloud service and will be able to activate and set up their iOS device right out of the box, downloading software updates over the air with no computer required.
For more on iOS 5.0, please see AppleInsider's pair of ongoing series: Inside iOS 5.0 and Inside iCloud
Meanwhile, readers who discover new features in the latest beta can share their findings by tipping news (at) appleinsider (dot) com.
On Topic: iPhone
- China Mobile notches 33K 'iPhone 6' preorders ahead of official launch
- Apple reportedly in talks with Nordstrom over mobile payment partnership
- Leak reveals Sony's next iPhone-connected camera lens will feature swappable E-Mount, pop-up flash
- Microsoft, HTC use Windows Phone's Cortana to poke fun at Apple's iPhone in new ad
- Photos purport to show 2915 mAh battery for 5.5" 'iPhone 6,' twice the capacity of Apple's iPhone 5s