Tuesday, October 11, 2011, 02:26 pm PT (05:26 pm ET)
RIM's BlackBerry outages continue for second dayDespite reporting that it fixed problems with its Black Berry service on Monday, Research in Motion continues to face outages across Europe and other regions for a second consecutive day.
The Canadian company was receiving reports of interruptions to internet browsing, roaming and instant messaging on Monday, from customers in regions from Europe to India, reports the Wall Street Journal. RIM claimed to have resolved the issues to its network late Monday, however outages persist in certain regions.
The UK's biggest mobile operator by revenue, Everything Everywhere, has reported that customers were seeing new problems on Tuesday, but didn't say which services were affected. The report is echoed by India carrier Bharti Airtel, Ltd., saying that there have been intermittent outages to services since 6 pm on Tuesday.
Although a representative from the BlackBerry maker acknowledged that the services went down, they failed to say why it happened or when it would be fixed.
"Some users in Europe, the Middle East and Africa, India, Brazil, Chile, and Argentina are experiencing messaging and browsing delays," RIM said in its statement. "We are working to restore normal service as quickly as possible."
According to a source for the Journal, a server that handles traffic for consumers, rather than businesses, had gone down in Slough, England.
RIM's latest struggles come at a time when the company is struggling to remain relevant in the lucrative North American market to Apple and Google.
On Topic: General
- Apple exec Eddy Cue puts Los Altos, Calif., home on the market for nearly $4M
- Questionable leaks raise hopes that Apple will release new Lightning cable with reversible USB connector
- Dr. Dre accepts ALS ice bucket challenge, nominates fellow rappers
- Apple's holiday-themed 'Misunderstood' iPhone ad wins Emmy for 'Most Outstanding Commercial'
- Apple reportedly expanding global data center presence with new facility in Curacao