Friday, October 14, 2011, 05:17 pm PT (08:17 pm ET)
California governor declares Sunday "Steve Jobs Day," memorial plannedCalifornia Gov. Jerry Brown announced Friday that Sunday, Oct. 16 will be "Steve Jobs Day" statewide, and will coincide with a private memorial planned for the Apple co-founder at Stanford University.
Brown tweeted the message late Friday after reports that some of Silicon Valley's biggest names had been invited to a memorial dedicated to Jobs next week.
According to the Wall Street Journal, Apple is planning a special service for Jobs at Stanford University this Sunday.
The small gathering of friends and tech industry insiders follows the private funeral held last week, and comes before Apple's local Oct. 19 celebration.
According to the Journal, invitations requested guests respond to Emerson Collective, a philanthropy established by Jobs' widow, Laurene Powell Jobs.
An Apple spokesman said the service on Sunday is a private invitation-only event.
Jobs died on Oct. 5 after a years-long battle with pancreatic cancer.
On Topic: General
- Review: Razer's Kraken Pro analog gaming headset
- Apple hires noted tech journalist Anand Lal Shimpi
- Samsung asks New Yorkers to compare Apple's iPad Air to Galaxy Tab S in new ad
- Apple's mysterious 2-story structure at site of Sept. 9 event drives frenzy even further
- Apple announces Sept. 9 event for expected 'iPhone 6' & 'iWatch' unveiling: 'Wish we could say more'