Wednesday, November 16, 2011, 01:27 pm PT (04:27 pm ET)
Annie Liebovitz recommends iPhone as "snapshot camera of today"When asked by friends what kind of camera they should buy, famed photographer Annie Liebovitz says she recommends the iPhone.
In an interview with NBC's "Rock Center" promoting her new book "Pilgrimage," Liebovitz flatly answered that the iPhone is the "snapshot camera of today," perhaps suggesting a link with popular cameras of the past used to capture everyday photos.
"I'm still learning how to use mine," Liebovitz said, pulling her iPhone 4 out to take a picture of her host. "It's great. It's a pencil, it's a pen, it's a notebook. I can't tell you how many times I see people show me their children. It's the wallet with the family pictures in it. It is so accessible and easy."
Liebovitz, named "a living legend" by the the Library of Congress for her work, has captured a wide range of iconic photographs, many for Rolling Stone, where she became its chief photographer in the early 1970s.
Among her most famous covers there depicted a nude John Lennon wrapped around Yoko Ono. For Vanity Fair, Liebovitz captured naked, pregnant Demi Moore. Those two photos have since been named the best two magazine covers over the past 40 years by the American Society of Magazine Editors.
On Topic: iPhone
- Apple opens Touch ID to third-party applications with iOS 8
- Despite record output, Foxconn unable to keep up with massive iPhone 6 demand
- Review roundup: Apple's iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus running iOS 8
- Apple's new Watch, Apple Pay and iPhone 6 met with nervous mocking by competitors
- Apple details content migration from Android to iOS in new support document