Apple accounts for three of Google's top ten 2011 searchesThree Apple-related search terms were included in Google's Zeitgeist 2011, with Steve Jobs, the iPhone 5 and iPad 2 all ranking as one of the top ten fastest-rising global queries recorded by the internet search giant.
According to Google's annual list, which records the fastest-rising searches in the world, the iPhone 5 (ultimately the iPhone 4S) was the top queried Apple item in 2011, following Rebecca Black, Google+, Ryan Dunn, Casey Anthony and Battlefield 3.
Searches for Steve Jobs, who died in early October, ranked at number nine on the Zeitgeist, while the iPad 2 rounded out the top ten.
While searches for the iPhone 5 saw gradual growth throughout the year, queries for the handset and Steve Jobs both spiked in early October. Apple launched the iPhone 4S on Oct. 4 and Jobs died on Oct. 5, causing millions of Google users to seek out information regarding the two closely-related topics.
The iPad 2 came in at number ten on the list, with searches peaking on Mar. 3, a day after being unveiled at a special Apple event. The company's second generation tablet went on to enjoy huge sales numbers in 2011, despite rumors that the iPad 3 will make its debut next year.
Google's Zeitgeist comparing searches for the iPhone 5 with Steve Jobs
Apple dominated the global list for fastest rising tech and gadgets, holding seven of the ten spots for 2011. iCloud, Mac OS X Lion, iPad 2, iPod touch 5G, iPhone 5 and MacBook Pro 2011 took the top six spots respectively. Adobe Reader X stopped a top seven Apple sweep, coming between the MacBook Pro and Steve Jobs.
On Topic: MacBook Pro
- Record Low Prices: Apple's iMac 4K falls $200 to $1,299, iMac 5K to $1,599, 15" MacBook Pro to $1699 at B&H ahead of Black Friday
- Exclusive Deal: Free 32GB Apple TV with all 2015 MacBook Pros plus up to $230 in additional discounts per model with no tax in 48 states
- Free Apple SuperDrive and 50% off AppleCare with 13" MacBook Pros & 13" MacBook Airs (2015 models)
- 10 Days Only: Free AppleCare & Free Apple SuperDrive with 15" MacBook Pros (Late 2015)
- Apple activates Quality Program for Retina MacBook Pro screen coating issue