Apple accounts for three of Google's top ten 2011 searchesThree Apple-related search terms were included in Google's Zeitgeist 2011, with Steve Jobs, the iPhone 5 and iPad 2 all ranking as one of the top ten fastest-rising global queries recorded by the internet search giant.
According to Google's annual list, which records the fastest-rising searches in the world, the iPhone 5 (ultimately the iPhone 4S) was the top queried Apple item in 2011, following Rebecca Black, Google+, Ryan Dunn, Casey Anthony and Battlefield 3.
Searches for Steve Jobs, who died in early October, ranked at number nine on the Zeitgeist, while the iPad 2 rounded out the top ten.
While searches for the iPhone 5 saw gradual growth throughout the year, queries for the handset and Steve Jobs both spiked in early October. Apple launched the iPhone 4S on Oct. 4 and Jobs died on Oct. 5, causing millions of Google users to seek out information regarding the two closely-related topics.
The iPad 2 came in at number ten on the list, with searches peaking on Mar. 3, a day after being unveiled at a special Apple event. The company's second generation tablet went on to enjoy huge sales numbers in 2011, despite rumors that the iPad 3 will make its debut next year.
Google's Zeitgeist comparing searches for the iPhone 5 with Steve Jobs
Apple dominated the global list for fastest rising tech and gadgets, holding seven of the ten spots for 2011. iCloud, Mac OS X Lion, iPad 2, iPod touch 5G, iPhone 5 and MacBook Pro 2011 took the top six spots respectively. Adobe Reader X stopped a top seven Apple sweep, coming between the MacBook Pro and Steve Jobs.
On Topic: MacBook Pro
- 2011 MacBook Pro graphics class-action suit expands, accuses Apple of concealing defects
- Deals: Free AppleCare & $120 off iMac 5K; $50 off iPad Air 2; MacBook Air coupons; $150-$700 off MacBook Pros
- Deals: Free Apple Magic Mouse and the lowest prices anywhere on every MacBook + AppleCare bundle; iMacs & Mac Pros too
- It's Back: Free Apple TV and the lowest prices anywhere on every MacBook + AppleCare bundle (save $200-$800); iMacs & Mac Pros too
- Deepest Discount Ever: $700 off Apple's 15-inch MacBook Pro (2.6GHz, 16GB, 1TB, 750M)