Updated Apple Store app brings carrier selection, account management featuresAn updated version of the Apple Store iOS app rolled out on Wednesday, bringing with it a number of new features including iPhone carrier selection for new customers as well as a feature that allows users to change account preferences.
While Apple Store version 2.1 leaves the general user interface of Apple's virtual storefront mainly intact, the notable updates implemented behind the scenes coincide with the app's introduction to users in the Netherlands.
From the "What's New in Version 2.1" patch notes:
- Choose iPhone plans from all three U.S. carriers AT&T, Verizon, and Sprint (U.S. Only).
- Make your shopping experience even more convenient with new account management editing and billing options.
- The Apple Store app is now available in the Netherlands.
Choosing an iPhone plan is limited to U.S. customers who are purchasing a new handset. With the update, iPhone buyers can now select the capacity, color and carrier without leaving the Apple Store app.
Account managements allows customers to change billing information and shipping addresses in-app, whereas users previously had to navigate to Apple's website in order to change these settings. The changes will update accounts associated with a current Apple ID, which will in turn be reflected across any services that use the login data.
iOS device users in the Netherlands will also be granted access to the app as the final preparations are being made for the grand opening of Amsterdam's first Apple Store.
Carriers can be selected when purchasing a new iPhone through the update Apple Store app. | Source: Apple
Apple Store version 2.1 weighs in at 7.9 MB and requires iOS 4.3 or higher.
On Topic: Software
- Skype cloud shift will require OS X Yosemite or iOS 8 for full support on Apple devices
- MacKeeper threatens 14-year-old YouTube video maker with harassment suit
- Adobe releases Photoshop and Premiere Elements 14 for Mac with new tools
- Parallels Desktop 11 launches with support for El Capitan, Windows 10, Cortana and more
- Adobe releases Photoshop and Premiere Elements 13 for Mac with new editing tools