Apple's App Store reaches 25 billion download milestoneThe App Store reached the historic milestone of 25 billion application downloads early on Saturday, though Apple has yet to announce the winner of the $10,000 App Store gift card.
Apple changed the counter on its homepage to a thank you page early on Saturday after it reached the 25 billion number. The graphic shows the App Store icon surrounded by icons of popular iOS apps, such as Twitter, Yelp, Instagram, eBay and Fruit Ninja.
"A billion thanks. 25 times over. The App Store has reached 25 billion downloads. Thanks for getting us there," the page read.
Customers are instructed to come back to the 25 billion app countdown page later to see who won the App Store gift card.
The countdown took just over two weeks from when Apple initiated it on February 17. At that time, the number of app downloads stood around 24.29 billion.
Apple held a similar countdown to the 10 billionth App Store download last year and reached the milestone on January 22, 2011.
The company has paid out over $4 billion to App Store developers and now carries roughly 600,000 applications in the digital storefront. The App Store launched in 2008, serving up 1.5 billion applications in its first year of operation.
On Topic: iTunes
- Apple Music tops customer satisfaction in new JD Power study
- Apple reveals algorithm behind Apple Music mixes, execs discuss past and future of service
- Drake's 'Views' exceeds 1B streams on Apple Music
- Drake debuts new short film as Apple Music exclusive
- Apple to debut 'Spoken Editions' iTunes category, turn written news into audio podcasts