Wednesday, March 07, 2012, 12:28 pm PT (03:28 pm ET)
Apple releases iOS 5.1 with lock screen camera access, PhotoStream pic delete optioniOS 5.1 for iPhone, iPad and iPod touch is now available for download, and features new quick lock screen access the camera application, as well as the ability to delete individual pictures that have been synced to PhotoStream.
In addition, iOS 5.1 features Japanese language support for Siri, though Apple has warned that availability may be limited during the initial roll-out. The update can be downloaded through the "Software Update" option found in the Settings application on an iOS device with iOS 5 or later.
The update has a number of changes to the camera application, with face detection now highlighting all detected faces in a frame. The camera app for iPad has also been given a redesign.
The full list of features in iOS 5.1, according to Apple, are:
- Japanese language support for Siri (availability may be limited during initial rollout)
- Photos can now be deleted from Photo Stream
- Camera shortcut now always visible on Lock Screen for iPhone 4S, iPhone 4, iPhone 3GS and iPod touch (4th generation)
- Camera face detection now highlights all detected faces
- Redesigned Camera app for iPad
- Genius Mixes and Genius playlists for iTunes Match subscribers
- Audio for TV shows and movies on iPad optimized to sound louder and clearer
- Podcast controls for playback speed and a 30 second rewind for iPad
- Updated AT&T network indicator
- Addresses bugs affecting battery life
- Fixes an issue that occasionally caused audio to drop for outgoing calls
On Topic: iPhone
- Apple's iOS nabbed 76% of small & medium business device activations in 2013, study says
- iPhone dominance in user engagement, developer payouts trumps unimportant market share stats - analyst
- Former head of Google patent strategy appointed to run U.S. patent agency
- China Mobile Beijing webpage hints at imminent iPhone preorders
- Walmart to cut $72 off iPhone 5c and 5s pricing in holiday sale