Wednesday, March 07, 2012, 03:43 pm
iTunes 10.6 now available with support for 1080p videoSupport for 1080p video came with the new Apple TV announced on Wednesday, and Apple's iTunes software has also been updated accordingly with version 10.6.
iTunes 10.6 is now available for download direct from Apple or via Software Update, giving users access to 1080p high-definition movies and TV shows. That content can then be streamed to the Apple TV and played back in its native resolution on an HDTV.
The new iTunes also features a number of improvements for the $24.99-per-year iTunes Match service, including improved song matching, as well as improved album artwork handling, downloading and display. iTunes 10.6 also address an issue where songs may skip when playing from iCloud.
The release of iTunes 10.6 came on Wednesday alongside the iOS 5.1 software update for iPhone, iPad and iPod touch. The new Apple TV with 1080p video playback will be available for $99 starting next week.
On Topic: iTunes
- Penguin agrees to $75M settlement in Apple iBooks price fixing lawsuit
- Editorial: Apple's billions are building an empire for the future
- Gameloft's Gangstar Rio, N.O.V.A. 3 go free on iOS for a limited time
- Apple releases iTunes 11.0.3 with new MiniPlayer, improved Songs View
- Google's All Access music streaming service to take on Spotify, Pandora