Friday, March 16, 2012, 04:18 pm PT (07:18 pm ET)
Apple serves up first beta of OS X Lion 10.7.4 to developersApple has asked its Mac developers to begin testing Mac OS X Lion 10.7.4 build 11E27 — the first external beta of the company's fourth maintenance release to its current Lion operating system.
The Friday release to Apple Developer Connection members, as first predicted by AppleInsider on Monday, was accompanied by a note asking developers to focus their testing efforts on AddressBook, Graphics, iCal, Mail, and Printing.
The 580MB delta release is said by those familiar with the software to contain just one known issue related to the inability to play content purchased through iTunes in QuickTime.
Separately, Apple on Friday also served up OS X Lion Server Software Update 10.7.4 build 11E27 — a 622MB delta update to Lion's server software with changes to Calendars, Contacts, Server App, Web Server, WebDAV Sharing and ServerAdmin DNS.
Earlier in the day, the Mac maker also released the second developer preview of Mountain Lion, the successor to Lion due for release sometime this summer.
On Topic: Mac OS X
- Apple releases OS X Yosemite Public Beta 2, new iTunes 12 beta for testing
- Intuit releases redesigned Quicken 2015 for Mac, first new version in 7 years
- Apple releases Safari 7.1 and 6.2, OS X Server 3.2 betas to developers
- Apple updates pro-level video suite with fixes for Final Cut Pro X, Compressor and Motion
- Mailbox for Mac hits public beta, adds synced drafts and 'snooze to desktop' feature