Tuesday, April 24, 2012, 04:10 pm PT (07:10 pm ET)
Apple's US K12 customers snapped up two iPads for every Mac this quarterApple's chief financial officer Peter Oppenheimer noted in the company's Q2 conference call that US K-12 education customers had purchased twice as many iPads as Macs, despite also setting a new record in Mac sales for the quarter.
Oppenheimer noted that the San Diego school district purchased 10,000 iPads in the quarter, and plans to buy over 15,000 additional iPads in the June quarter for its middle and high school students.
"iPad continues to open doors for new customers with whom Apple previously had no relationship," Oppenheimer stated. "As we enter the K-12 institution buying season, we're hopeful that iPad will be a popular choice."
Photo credit: Keri Wiginton, St. Petersburg Times.
Oppenheimer also noted that the iPad is gaining momentum outside of the education market as well, specifically noting a project by the US Air Force to deploy thousands of iPads as electronic flight bags.
He added that other large firms, including international construction contractors Bechtel and Balfour Beatty, are "using iPads in the field for project management and viewing blueprints. And thousands of iPads are being deployed as mobile sales tools" by companies including Roche, Amgen and Bayer.
Oppenheimer also noted that IT and business managers were seeing the value of their own custom development targeting iOS devices, stating that "the majority of Fortune 500 companies who have approved iPhone on their networks are members of the iOS developer enterprise program, and are actively deploying in-house applications to their employee base."
Oppenheimer also stated that Apple's channel inventory of iPads had actually decreased in the quarter, later noting that the new iPad "is on fire, we're selling them as fast as we can make them."
On Topic: iPad
- Killer Deals: $150 off iMac Retina 5K, $350 off Mac Pro, $40 off iPad Air 2, $30 off iPad mini 3, up to $268 off HP Printers
- Logitech launches Type+ & Ultrathin keyboards for iPad Air 2, ultraportable Keys-To-Go for all models
- iPad Air 2 glass cover has 2.5% screen reflectance vs. 8% reflectance for sapphire
- Apple's iPad Air 2 manufacturing costs stay level despite new technology - report
- Apple's A8X powers iPad Air 2 graphics faster than Google's Nexus 9 with Nvidia Denver Tegra K1