Apple's iPhone climbs to 31% share of US smartphone marketA new analysis claims the iPhone made up 30.7 percent of the U.S. smartphone market and 14 percent of the mobile market in the first quarter of 2012.
comScore noted Apple's steady upward climb when it released on Tuesday quarterly data from its MobiLens service, which surveyed 30,000 mobile subscribers users.
Apple's share of the smartphone market grew 1.1 percent when compared to the fourth quarter of 2011. The figures were up 0.5 percent from Apple's three-month average from February.
The Cupertino, Calif., company's growth was outpaced by the Google Android platform, which grew 3.7 percent sequentially to reach 51 percent market share.
Research in Motion and Microsoft lost out during the quarter. The BlackBerry maker fell from 16 percent in December 2011 to 12.3 percent in the March quarter, while Windows Phone maker watched its market share slip from 4.7 percent to 3.9 percent during the same period.
According to the research, Apple was the third-largest handset maker in the U.S. during the March quarter. Samsung took the top spot from the survey with 26 percent, up 0.7 percent from the previous quarter. LG came in second place with 19.3 percent share. Motorola and HTC trailed Apple in fourth and fifth place, respectively.
Apple announced last month sales of 35.1 million iPhones during the March quarter.
Estimates have disagreed as to whether Samsung or Apple took the top spot among global smartphone makers fro the quarter. Strategy Analytics and IDC see Samsung as having won out, while IHS iSuppli believes Samsung shipped just 32 million smartphones.
On Topic: Microsoft
- Microsoft ditches ARM for Intel with new $499 Surface 3, its latest iPad competitor
- Microsoft to bring Cortana voice assistant to Apple's iOS as third-party app
- IDC: Apple's iPad shipments could shrink to 60M in 2015 amid slow-growing tablet market
- Apple, Google, hundreds of other US companies file court brief in support of same-sex marriage
- First look: Microsoft's all-new Office 2016 for Mac public preview