Tuesday, June 05, 2012, 01:45 pm PT (04:45 pm ET)
Apple TV 5.0.2 software update rolls outApple on Tuesday updated its Apple TV software to version 5.0.2 for second and third generation units.
The Apple TV Software Update, released as build 9B830, brings unknown fixes to both the second and third generation set-top media streamers. Apple's support web page has yet to divulge the contents of the update, but a more detailed description should be posted in the near future.
The quick download showed no visible changes to the UI or content meaning that the update may be a fix for backend performance issues or preparation for as-yet unreleased features set to be announced at WWDC next week.
To install the new 5.0.2 version on your Apple TV, navigate to the "Update Software" menu option under Settings > General.
On Topic: Apple TV
- Apple announces 20M Apple TVs sold since debut
- History, A&E and Lifetime networks launch on Apple TV
- Amazon to expand Fire TV voice search to third-party apps and services
- Review follow-up: Gaming on Amazon's Fire TV and Fire Controller
- New Apple TV box with motion controls to play 'key role' for Apple this year, but 'iTV' still a pipe dream