Monday, June 11, 2012, 10:19 am PT (01:19 pm ET)
Apple unveils new MacBook Air with up to 2.0GHz CPUs, 512GB storageApple's thin-and-light MacBook Air lineup was given a refresh on Monday, with new models featuring Intel's latest Ivy Bridge processors, and configurations running up to 2.0GHz in speed with a Core i7 processor and 512 gigabytes of flash storage.
The new MacBook Airs also feature 720p high-definition FaceTime cameras for both the 11- and 13-inch models. And they have been upgraded with high-speed USB 3.0 ports that offer up to 500MBps read speed, in addition to the existing Thunderbolt connection. Users can also configure the new MacBook Air with up to 8 gigabytes of RAM.
The 11-inch MacBook Air has a 1,366-by-768-pixel display and a 1.7GHz dual-core i5 processor. It has 4 gigabytes of RAM, Intel HD graphics 4000, and up to 128 gigabytes of flash storage. It starts at $999 for the 64 gigabyte model, and is $1,099 for the 128 gigabyte capacity.
The 13-inch MacBook Air has a 1,400-by-900 display and a 1.8GHz dual-core i5 processor standard, with 4 gigabytes of RAM and Intel HD 400 graphics. For 128 gigabytes of flash storage, it costs $1,199, while 256 gigabytes is $1,499.
Both new notebooks are shipping today, Apple marketing chief Phil Schiller announced at Monday's Worldwide Developers Conference Keynote.
On Topic: Current Hardware
- Lowest Prices Anywhere: 11" MacBook Air for $729; loaded 13" MacBook Pro Retina for $1,650
- Cyber Monday Discounts: $200 off 13" MacBook Pro Retina, up to $60 off iPads, free gift cards
- How to find the lowest prices on Apple's Macs this Black Friday [u]
- B&H's Black Friday sale delivers the lowest prices on Macs with AppleCare, tax-free outside NY
- Best Buy's Black Friday sale knocks $150-$200 off some MacBook Pros, iMacs, & MacBook Airs