Monday, June 18, 2012, 11:02 pm PT (02:02 am ET)
Apple touts iPad versatility with new 'Do It All' commercialApple on Monday released a new commercial for the iPad that highlights the breadth of functionality that the device has.
The ad, which was posted to Apple's official YouTube channel, depicts an iPad user performing both entertainment and productivity-related tasks on the device.
"Send a note, stay informed, catch a show, make your point, make a memory, make a masterpiece, read something, watch something and learn something," the narrator says. "Do it all more beautifully with the Retina Display on iPad."
Apple announced its third-generation iPad with a Retina Display in March and began selling it soon after. The touchscreen tablet's new 2,048-by-1,536-pixel display is the main selling point of the device and has been featured in previous commercials.
The timing of the new ad is curious, as it coincides with rival Microsoft's announcement of a new Surface tablet. The Windows maker revealed on Monday plans to release both ARM-based and Intel-based tablets later this year. The Surface will compete not only with Apple's iPad, but also with Microsoft's own PC partners, who were given advance warning that Microsoft was building its own tablet.
On Topic: iPad
- Apple's online store begins taking preorders for iPad Air 2 and iPad mini 3
- Apple's iPad Air 2 eschews physical orientation lock switch in favor of software control
- First look: Hands-on with Apple's new iPad Air 2 & iPad mini 3
- Apple unveils new multi-carrier 'Apple SIM' bundled with new iPads
- Apple announces iPad mini 3 with Touch ID for $399, keeps first-gen iPad mini for $249