Friday, July 06, 2012, 06:22 am PT (09:22 am ET)
Rifle wielding men rob van carrying Apple gear in France - reportA van carrying Apple products in France was reportedly targeted by three men with assault rifles in a botched robbery attempt on Friday, though no one was hurt.
News of the alleged assault was shared by Nowhereelse.fr on Friday (translation), which said that three men were armed with Kalashnikov or M16 rifles when they robbed the van. The vehicle was reportedly found abandoned several hours later.
Police also found the stolen Apple equipment in a house near where the ditched van was discovered, according to the report, though the robbers were nowhere to be found.
The driver and passenger of the van were said to have been released by the robbers unharmed in the woods of Val d'Oise. The attack took place Friday morning in Aulnay-sous-Bois in Seine-Saint-Denis.
As a seller of valuable electronics, Apple products and the company's retail stores have been the target of a number of high-profile incidents over the years. Last April, a robbery suspect was killed in a shootout with police at a San Diego, Calif., Apple Store.
On Topic: General
- Apple's 'smart dock' would give Siri a permanent place in the home
- Apple usurps Dell as most wanted desktop brand for holiday season
- New Union Square Apple Store renderings add water feature to plaza
- Next-gen USB connector a reversible challenge to Apple's Thunderbolt & Lightning
- Apple investigating ways to add depth to iPhone photos