New 'All on iPad' ad ditches 'Genius' campaign formatApple on Tuesday released a new iPad TV spot featuring the third-generation tablet's Retina display along with the host of apps available for the device through the iOS App Store, presenting the product in a style that is a departure from the "Genius" ads shown at the start of Olympics coverage.
Apple's third New iPad commercial puts emphasis on the device's high resolution Retina display, with close-up shots of the device bedded under terse, tight voice over dialogue much like the company's most recent iDevice ads.
Besides the first-party Apple apps like FaceTime, the new commercial shows off iOS 5's system-wide twitter integration as well as the New iPad's AirPlay functionality. Also getting a nod in the spot is payment service Square, which allows small business owners to make credit card transactions directly on an iPad with a magnetic card reader dongle.
Apple's new ad marks a switch back to the simple, product-oriented commercials seen before the controversial "Genius" campaign launched during NBC's Olympic coverage. In the three-spot series, an Apple Genius helps customers in increasingly outlandish scenarios and is reminiscent of the "Get a Mac" campaign. Unlike the Justin Long and John Hodgman collaboration, the quirky "Genius" ads missed their mark and raised the ire of critics who said the spots weren't up to Apple's high standards.
It was reported earlier on Tuesday that Apple would no longer be running the Genius ads during the Olympic games, but it is unclear whether the commercials will find their way back to the small screen later this fall.
On Topic: General
- Nancy Pelosi expresses disappointment over Tim Cook's GOP fundraiser
- Apple uses platform dominance to 'lock out' competition, says Elizabeth Warren
- Hillary Clinton's tech platform backs Apple positions on encryption, privacy, innovation, patents, education
- Sioeye iPhone-connected sports camera streams live via LTE, includes 5GB free with T-Mobile
- Apple issues fourth beta of iOS 9.3.3 as developers await iOS 10 beta 2