Friday, September 07, 2012, 07:41 am PT (10:41 am ET)
Laurene Powell Jobs joining Stanford governing boardStanford University announced this week that Laurene Powell Jobs, the widow of Apple co-founder Steve Jobs, will be joining its governing board as of Oct. 1.
Powell Jobs earned a graduate degree in business at Stanford in 1991, and she also first met Jobs when she was a student at the university when he delivered a speech at the Stanford graduate business school in 1989. They had three children together: Eve, Erin and Reed.
Powell Jobs is the founder and chair of the Emerson Collective, which works with entrepreneurs to advance domestic and international social reform efforts. She also serves on the White House Council for Community Solutions, and is president of the board at the after-school program College Track, which she founded in 1997. It helps to prepare underprivileged high school students for college.
Jobs also delivered the famous 2005 commencement speech to the graduating class at Stanford, in which he reflected on life and death (included below).
On Topic: General
- Review: Razer's Kraken Pro analog gaming headset
- Apple hires noted tech journalist Anand Lal Shimpi
- Samsung asks New Yorkers to compare Apple's iPad Air to Galaxy Tab S in new ad
- Apple's mysterious 2-story structure at site of Sept. 9 event drives frenzy even further
- Apple announces Sept. 9 event for expected 'iPhone 6' & 'iWatch' unveiling: 'Wish we could say more'