AT&T confirms iPhone 5 preorders set sales recordAT&T on Monday announced that the iPhone 5 set a new sales record at the carrier over the weekend, making it the fastest selling iPhone it has seen yet.
Actual sales figures were not announced, but AT&T did say that customers ordered more iPhones from AT&T than any previous model on both its first day of preorders, and over the full weekend.
The carrier also touted its strengths over competitors, noting that AT&T's network allows customers to talk and surf the Web at the same time.
Apple announced on Friday that officials at the company had been "completely blown away" by demand for the iPhone 5 on its first day of preorder availability. The company sold out of its batch of launch-day orders in just over an hour early Friday morning.
New iPhone 5 preorders are now advertised to ship within two to three weeks for all models.
Last year, the iPhone 4S set a new sales record for Apple, with one million preorders placed for the device on the first day. Total sales exceeded 4 million in the handset's launch weekend. It remained the top-selling smartphone in the U.S. until this August.
The iPhone 5 is expected to handily beat last year's sales records, as it is launching in more countries on its first day of availability, and at a faster rate around the world. At least one analyst believes sales could go as high as 10 million in the September quarter, which concludes at the end of this month.
On Topic: iPhone
- Eric Schmidt says he uses an iPhone, but claims to prefer Samsung's Galaxy
- Alleged 'iPhone 7' production plates, schematics show no sign of Smart Connector
- New photo purports to show 'iPhone 7' shell with single, raised rear camera opening
- Rumor: Apple prepping as many as 78 million 'iPhone 7' units for launch
- Surge in OLED equipment orders linked to Apple's upcoming iPhones - report