Google Maps app from iOS 5.1 reportedly ported onto iOS 6A hacker claims to have successfully ported the now defunct Google Maps iOS app to Apple's iOS 6, however the workaround is unstable and requires a jailbroken iPhone.
In a tweet on Saturday, Ryan Petrich said that he was able to get the iOS 5.1 version of Google Maps up and running on the recently released iOS 6, which eschewed the search giant's service for a proprietary Apple solution.
Source: @rpetrich via Twitter
Petrich showed off the solution In a corresponding video, however did not divulge the details as to how he was able to port the app over to the new operating system.
From the YouTube description:
Preview of the old Google Maps application from iOS5.1 and earlier running on an iPhone 3G S updated to iOS 6.0
Still crashy and cannot be distributed to the public yet, but it mostly works :)
In a round of follow-up tweets, the hacker confirmed a jailbreak is required to make the legacy Google Maps app functional in iOS 6, and while he would like to release a public version, Petrich is not expected to do so anytime soon.
On Topic: General
- Pinterest absorbs offline reading service Instapaper
- Apple to reopen Thousand Oaks store on Saturday, close Cambridge shop for renovations
- Lyft president says ridesharing service isn't looking to sell, blames Uber for rumors
- Apple patent details visual-based AR navigation, confirms Flyby Media acquisition
- Samsung adopting Apple-like plan to sell refurbished smartphones