Foxconn says production will resume Tuesday following employee riotAfter a riot occurred in one of Foxconn's manufacturing facilities in China, the company issued a statement on Monday to say there were no employee deaths, and that production will resume on Tuesday.
The statement, provided to Roger Cheng of CNet on Monday, did not reveal the cause of the riot, which involved about 2,000 workers out of 79,000 at Foxconn's Taiyuan factory. Earlier reports stated that the dispute was between workers from different production lines.
"The cause of this dispute is under investigation by local authorities and we are working closely with them in this process, but it appears not to have been work-related," Foxconn's statement said.
About 40 people were said to have been taken to the hospital after the riot and no employees were killed, the company said. An undisclosed number of people were also arrested after the incident.
The factory was shut down after people were injured and equipment was damaged in the incident, but Foxconn apparently expects operations to continue quickly. The company is responsible for assembly of a number of Apple's popular products, including the iPhone and iPad.
Earlier this month, a Chinese reporter issued a report after he supposedly went undercover inside Foxconn's Taiyuan factory to experience the facility's working and living conditions first hand. he found that the plant was responsible for the fabrication of "uni-body" backplates used in Apple's latest iPhone 5.
On Topic: General
- Apple redesigns Support website with clean layout, responsive UI
- Schiller schools internet on correct Apple device plurals, but Cook says 'iPad Pros'
- Apple will attempt data extraction on iPhone of teen lost at sea, report says
- Tor Myhren officially starts as Apple's new VP of Marketing Communications
- US Supreme Court approves search warrants for computers in any jurisdiction