Ping perishes right on scheduleAs promised, with the month of September concluded, Apple has closed Ping, its social networking service for iTunes that never caught much traction.
The company announced last month that Ping would cease to exist after Sept. 30. That schedule held true, and as of Monday, Ping can no longer be found in iTunes.
Apple first launched Ping in 2010 as a new component of iTunes 10. It was intended to promote music discovery and increase sales of iTunes content.
On Topic: iTunes
- Apple hiring spree looks to improve iTunes search, discovery, video & more
- Russia to be among first countries with access to Apple's new streaming music service, report says
- Spotify facing pressure from Sony, Universal to drop free on-demand music - report
- Apple's rumored streaming music service to tout social network for artists, report says
- Apple to give the first hit free with its new streaming service - report