Apple Configurator update brings iOS 6 compatibility, Apple TV supportApple on Tuesday released version 1.2 of its Apple Configurator, which brings support for iOS 6 features, a number of security upgrades and overall bug fixes.
Tuesday's update allows the use of iMessage, removal of apps from a device, Siri profanity filtering, Game Center use and installation of new configuration profiles, among others.
As noted by The Next Web, Apple Configurator version 1.2 also brings global HTTP proxy support for specific devices, which allows for relatively hassle-free setup of advanced network connections.
Used to deploy iPhones, iPads and iPods in schools, businesses and other institutions, Configurator is able to manage up to 30 iOS products, allowing for the setup of new devices, installation of custom apps, iOS software updates, backups and restoration of app data and settings.
From the release notes:
What's New in Version 1.2
This update improves overall stability and performance and includes the following:
- Support for new iOS 6 features on supervised iOS devices
- Lock to App
- Global HTTP Proxy
- Support for new iOS 6 restrictions on supervised iOS devices
- Allow the removal of apps from the device
- Allow use of iMessage
- Allow access to iBookstore or the purchase of books classified as Erotica from iBookstore
- Allow filtering of profanity for Siri
- Allow use of Game Center
- Allow the installation of new configuration profiles
- Improved reliability when activating a new iPhone or iPad with Wi-Fi + Cellular
- The last settings used on the Prepare pane are retained when Apple Configurator is quit and relaunched
- Improved ability to update or restore devices that are currently in recovery mode
- Paid apps from the App Store can now be installed in the Prepare pane only when a device is being supervised
- Support for configuring advanced network options on Apple TV
- Bug fixes
Apple Configurator version 1.2 weighs in at 15.4MB and can be downloaded via the Mac App Store.
On Topic: General
- This week on AI: iPhone 7 & Apple Watch Series 2 review, McLaren buyout rumors, macOS Sierra launch & more
- Apple celebrates grand opening of first retail store in Mexico
- Snapchat announces Spectacles video-recording sunglasses, available this fall for $130
- The Verge founding member Chris Ziegler worked at Apple for two months before leaving website
- Twitter takeover being considered by Google, Salesforce, other tech firms - report