Review: Apple's 13-inch MacBook Pro with Retina display
Jump to a different section
Software and wrap-up
As mentioned before, Apple's applications, including iTunes, Mail, and Final Cut Pro X, are all optimized for the Retina display and look great. All new Macs also come with the iLife suite, which includes iPhoto, iMovie and GarageBand.
The MacBook Pro with Retina display also comes with Mountain Lion, Apple's latest Mac operating system. New features in Mountain Lion take advantage of the latest hardware in the MacBook Pro, including AirPlay Mirroring to a networked Apple TV driven by the Ivy Bridge processor, and voice dictation aided by the noise-canceling microphone.
In all, the 13-inch MacBook Pro with Retina display is a compelling package. Anyone considering a high-end notebook should absolutely give it a closer look. But that doesn't mean it's for everybody.
While the cost of the 15-inch Retina MacBook Pro was tough to swallow, it's an even more difficult sell with the 13-inch variety. The lack of a dedicated graphics card, coupled with no options for a quad-core processor or more than 8 gigabytes of RAM, make the 13-inch Pro a lesser value than the 15-inch model.
However, the 13-inch MacBook Pro with Retina display does accomplish more than enough to justify its existence and superiority over the legacy 13-inch model, even if it has a harder time justifying its premium price than the 15-inch Retina. It's a well crafted machine with a beautiful display and ample components that make it deserving of its "Pro" title, and the new king of 13-inch notebooks.
Score: 4 out of 5
- Thin unibody design
- Retina display is gorgeous
- Strong battery life, fast flash-based performance
- Plethora of ports, including two Thunderbolts and HDMI
- Does not have a dedicated GPU
- Can't add more than 8GB of RAM or quad-core CPU
How to save when buying
On Topic: MacBook Pro
- Rumor: Apple to unveil redesigned MacBook Airs, new 15" model at WWDC 2016
- Record Low Prices: Apple's iMac 4K falls $200 to $1,299, iMac 5K to $1,599, 15" MacBook Pro to $1699 at B&H ahead of Black Friday
- Exclusive Deal: Free 32GB Apple TV with all 2015 MacBook Pros plus up to $230 in additional discounts per model with no tax in 48 states
- Free Apple SuperDrive and 50% off AppleCare with 13" MacBook Pros & 13" MacBook Airs (2015 models)
- 10 Days Only: Free AppleCare & Free Apple SuperDrive with 15" MacBook Pros (Late 2015)