Tuesday, November 27, 2012, 01:35 pm PT (04:35 pm ET)
Thunderbolt Firmware Update fixes MacBook Pro, cable issuesApple on Tuesday released Thunderbolt Firmware Update v1.1, which patches a problem that caused some MacBook Pros and Thunderbolt cables to experience malfunctions when connecting to a bus-powered peripheral.
The update applies to MacBook Pros built in mid-2012 and "some" Thunderbolt cables, however it is not clear if all cables are affected, or just those made by Apple.
From the release notes:
About Thunderbolt Firmware Update v1.1
This update addresses an issue with MacBook Pro (mid 2012) and some Thunderbolt cables that may prevent bus-powered Thunderbolt devices from functioning properly.
Thunderbolt Firmware Update v.1.1 comes in at 442KB and requires OS X Lion 10.7.4 or later. It can be downloaded through Software Update or Apple's dedicated support downloads webpage.
On Topic: General
- Marc Newson confirms only working at Apple part time on unknown project
- Patent holdings firm WiLAN loses second suit against Apple
- Apple opens iTunes donations for 'City of Hope' cancer charity, moves beyond natural disaster relief
- PayPal purportedly cut out of Apple Pay due to partnership with Samsung
- Pebble smartwatch gets $50 price cut, background tracking for fitness & sleep