Thursday, November 29, 2012, 12:18 pm PT (03:18 pm ET)
Apple TV 5.1.1 update now availableA new version of the Apple TV software was made available for second- and third-generation set-top boxes on Thursday.
The new Apple TV 5.1.1 update was issued alongside the new iTunes 11 available for Mac and Windows. Apple TV 5.1.1 can be downloaded through Software Update in the Settings application.
Apple said the update addresses a few security issues for the set-top box, including one that could allow an attacker to terminate arbitrary code. The build is identified as 10A831.
The last Apple TV software update was issued in October, but some users have reported serious issues after installing. It's unknown whether the latest build addresses those issues.
On Topic: Apple TV
- Apple job listings suggest cameras coming to Apple TV, hinting at motion controls
- Apple TV 6.1 update makes it easier to hide unwanted channels
- Apple adds iTunes Festival channel to Apple TV in advance of Tuesday kickoff
- Construction of Apple's new San Francisco flagship store gets final go ahead
- Roku distills set-top box into $50 'Streaming Stick' with on-screen interface, physical remote