Apple releases MacBook Pro firmware in update to address battery issuesIn the second MacBook Pro firmware update in as many weeks, Apple on Tuesday released version 1.7 of its MacBook Pro SMC Firmware to patch a problem regarding the laptops' built-in battery.
Tuesday's update, which specifically targets early-2011 and mid-2010 MacBook Pros in both 15-inch and 17-inch configurations, fixes an issue that caused the laptops to unexpectedly shutdown after the non-removable battery had undergone over 1000 charge cycles.
The problem was most recently addressed at the end of January with SMC Firmware Update 1.6, which was released alongside identical updates for all MacBook and MacBook Air models produced after 2009.
About MacBook Pro SMC Firmware Update 1.7
This update addresses a rare issue on some Apple notebooks where a battery that has accumulated more than 1000 charge cycles may unexpectedly shut down or stop functioning.
The MacBook Pro SMC Firmware Update 1.7 weighs in at 1MB and can be downloaded via Apple's Support webpage or Software Update.
On Topic: MacBook Pro
- 2011 MacBook Pro graphics class-action suit expands, accuses Apple of concealing defects
- Deals: Free AppleCare & $120 off iMac 5K; $50 off iPad Air 2; MacBook Air coupons; $150-$700 off MacBook Pros
- Deals: Free Apple Magic Mouse and the lowest prices anywhere on every MacBook + AppleCare bundle; iMacs & Mac Pros too
- It's Back: Free Apple TV and the lowest prices anywhere on every MacBook + AppleCare bundle (save $200-$800); iMacs & Mac Pros too
- Deepest Discount Ever: $700 off Apple's 15-inch MacBook Pro (2.6GHz, 16GB, 1TB, 750M)