Apple releases MacBook Pro firmware in update to address battery issuesIn the second MacBook Pro firmware update in as many weeks, Apple on Tuesday released version 1.7 of its MacBook Pro SMC Firmware to patch a problem regarding the laptops' built-in battery.
Tuesday's update, which specifically targets early-2011 and mid-2010 MacBook Pros in both 15-inch and 17-inch configurations, fixes an issue that caused the laptops to unexpectedly shutdown after the non-removable battery had undergone over 1000 charge cycles.
The problem was most recently addressed at the end of January with SMC Firmware Update 1.6, which was released alongside identical updates for all MacBook and MacBook Air models produced after 2009.
About MacBook Pro SMC Firmware Update 1.7
This update addresses a rare issue on some Apple notebooks where a battery that has accumulated more than 1000 charge cycles may unexpectedly shut down or stop functioning.
The MacBook Pro SMC Firmware Update 1.7 weighs in at 1MB and can be downloaded via Apple's Support webpage or Software Update.
On Topic: MacBook Pro
- Apple might debut 'MagSafe-like' USB-C adapter with redesigned MacBook Pro line
- New Apple event invite recalls original Macintosh, iMac introductions
- Potential MacBook Pro OLED function row names include 'Magic Toolbar,' 'Control Strip,' 'Touch Bar'
- 'Hello again:' Apple sends invitations for event on Oct. 27, new MacBook Pros expected
- Annual Final Cut Pro gathering being held as Apple is expected to unveil new MacBook Pros