Thursday, February 14, 2013, 09:49 pm PT (12:49 am ET)
Apple rolls out shorter Lightning cable and redesigned in-ear headphonesApple quietly added a new 0.5 meter Lightning to USB cable and a slightly tweaked premium in-ear headphone design to its online storefront on Thursday, expanding the company's offerings of iOS device accessories.
First spotted by TUAW, the shorter Lightning cable is Apple's second offering, adding to the regular one-meter long version sold as a replacement for the unit supplied with all compatible iPhones, iPads and iPods. Both retail for $19 in the Online Apple Store.
As for the in-ear headphones, not much has changed save for the remote control module with built-in microphone, which now takes on a shape first seen with the recently released EarPods. It appears that the update is merely cosmetic, as none of the hardware specs have been modified on the product page. The IEMs still carry a price of $79 in Apple's online storefront.
On Topic: General
- Tour Apple Inc's spaceship Campus 2 in extended aerial video
- Editorial: A friendlier Apple Inc now invites media through its Infinite Loop front door
- Apple launches iCloud Photos beta Web client ahead of iOS 8.1 rollout
- Full video of Jony Ive's Vanity Fair interview posted online
- Exclusive video: Apple's new "spaceship" Campus 2 is figuratively taking off