Tuesday, April 09, 2013, 04:05 pm PT (07:05 pm ET)
Nearly half of all U.S. teens own an iPhone, 62 percent plan to buy oneA new study released by Piper Jaffray on Tuesday notes the iPhone is once again at the top of the heap for U.S. teens, with 48 percent owning a version of the smartphone, while 62 percent said they planned to make the Apple handset their next phone.
Source: Piper Jaffray
As noted by Fortune, Piper Jaffray's 25th bi-annual teen survey (PDF link) found Apple's iOS devices to be the most desirable telecom products, outperforming offerings from manufacturers using Google's Android operating system.
The wide-ranging survey, which includes metrics on everything from dining preferences to fashion, polled 1,600 teens from high-income and 3,600 teens from average-income families in classroom visits and electronic surveys.
- 59% of teens say they are likely to buy an iOS device (unchanged from fall) and 21% are likely to buy an Android device (was 20%)
- 48% of teens already own an iPhone, compared with 40% last fall
- 62% of teens plan on making an iPhone their next mobile device (flat vs. fall 2012)
- 23% expect to buy an Android phone, up from from 22% last fall
According to the study, 91 percent of teens said they plan on buying a smartphone for their next high-tech device, a number up from 86 percent last spring and 90 percent last fall.
As for tablets, 51 percent of respondents said they already own one, up from 44 percent last fall. Apple's iPad saw a decrease in marketshare, dropping from 72 percent to 68 percent, though 68 percent of teens said they plan to buy the device.
Apple appears to have a firm hold on the teen community, and while Android made some slight sequential gains, the overall market appears to be skewed toward iOS.
On Topic: Current Hardware
- Promise Technology ships 'world's first' 20Gbps Thunderbolt 2 drives
- Lowest Prices Anywhere: 11" MacBook Air for $729; loaded 13" MacBook Pro Retina for $1,650
- Cyber Monday Discounts: $200 off 13" MacBook Pro Retina, up to $60 off iPads, free gift cards
- How to find the lowest prices on Apple's Macs this Black Friday [u]
- B&H's Black Friday sale delivers the lowest prices on Macs with AppleCare, tax-free outside NY