Apple's latest AirPort Time Capsule expectedly similar to redesigned AirPort ExtremeComing hours after Apple's AirPort Extreme received the teardown treatment, the same was done to the 802.11ac Wi-Fi router's HDD-packing sibling Time Capsule, with results expectedly showing no difference between the two aside from the hard drive and corresponding port.
The few parts from Apple's latest Time Capsule which are missing from the AirPort Extreme. | Source: iFixit
After dismantling the AirPort Extreme earlier on Wednesday, iFixit released images of a torn down Time Capsule.
As expected, the empty space seen in the Extreme is filled by a hard drive, in this case a 2TB Seagate Barracuda. Other than the HDD and its accompanying mounting and cabling hardware, the Time Capsule is nearly identical to the Extreme.
There is one difference on the control board, however, in a port to connect with the HDD. This space was left empty on the AirPort Extreme version.
HDD connector port.
iFixit gives the AirPort time capsule the same 8 out of 10 score as the Extreme, noting the two products are almost identical.
On Topic: Current Hardware
- How to find the lowest prices on Apple's Macs and iPads this Black Friday
- Last call: 18 hours left to get the lowest prices anywhere on Apple's MacBooks with coupons
- Deals: Final days to get the lowest prices anywhere on Apple's MacBook Airs and MacBook Pros with exclusive coupons
- Review: Apple's 27-inch iMac with Retina 5K display
- Killer Deal: Free AppleCare with all iMac 5Ks & Mac Pros plus $50-$275 instant discounts, tax savings