Wednesday, June 19, 2013, 01:57 pm PT (04:57 pm ET)
Apple releases first OS X 10.8.5 Mountain Lion beta to developersLess than one month after debuting OS X 10.8.4, Apple on Wednesday seeded the first OS X 10.8.5 Mountain Lion beta build to developers, with the latest maintenance update possibly looking to stabilize the operating system ahead of an OS X 10.9 Mavericks launch this fall.
People familiar with the beta, dubbed build 12F9, said Apple is asking developers to focus on existing Mountain Lion features, including Wi-Fi and graphics.
The latest beta comes two weeks after Apple issued the OS X Mountain Lion 10.8.4 maintenance update to Mac users, which brought Wi-Fi improvements, compatibility with Microsoft Exchange and a host of bug fixes.
Apple is expected to release the next-generation OS X 10.9 Mavericks this fall, and a preview has already been seeded to the development community.
On Topic: Mac OS X
- Using widgets in OS X Yosemite's new Notification Center
- How to activate 'Dark mode' in OS X Yosemite
- iCloud Drive allows OS X Yosemite users to store any type of file in the cloud
- How to use Mail Drop and Markup to send large emails in OS X Yosemite
- Handoff in OS X Yosemite makes it easy to transition between your Mac, iPhone & iPad