Apple releases first OS X 10.8.5 Mountain Lion beta to developersLess than one month after debuting OS X 10.8.4, Apple on Wednesday seeded the first OS X 10.8.5 Mountain Lion beta build to developers, with the latest maintenance update possibly looking to stabilize the operating system ahead of an OS X 10.9 Mavericks launch this fall.
People familiar with the beta, dubbed build 12F9, said Apple is asking developers to focus on existing Mountain Lion features, including Wi-Fi and graphics.
The latest beta comes two weeks after Apple issued the OS X Mountain Lion 10.8.4 maintenance update to Mac users, which brought Wi-Fi improvements, compatibility with Microsoft Exchange and a host of bug fixes.
Apple is expected to release the next-generation OS X 10.9 Mavericks this fall, and a preview has already been seeded to the development community.
On Topic: Mac OS X
- Apple seeds first OS X 10.10.4 beta to developers for testing
- Apple fixes sporadic startup woes with OS X 10.10.3 supplemental update
- OS X 10.10.3 triggering kernel panics when previewing JPEG files
- From beaches to bridges, Apple has plenty of possible California-themed names for next OS X
- Microsoft updates Office 2016 for Mac Preview, intros new iPhone apps for Office 365