eBay debuts store for 3D printed objects with 'Exact' iOS appOnline auction and shopping giant eBay on Friday debuted Exact, an app dedicated to selling customizable 3D printed objects, like iPhone cases, jewelry, and other small items, directly from a user's handset.
To make Exact a reality, eBay partnered with three major 3D printing studios, Sculpteo, MakerBot, and Hot Pop Factory, and is offering a limited assortment of small-scale products.
With the 3D printing process, sellers are able to offer custom plastic trinkets at relatively low costs. For some products, like Sculpteo's iPhone 5 case seen above, the app features a built-in customization UI, affording customers create unique, one-of-a-kind object designs that are then fulfilled by eBay's sellers.
From the release notes:
- Bring your style to life. Choose from a variety of materials, including plastics, wood and metals. Use the engraving feature to further customize your product.
- Be the first to use new technology to create one-of-a-kind iPhone cases, jewelry, and figurines based on self-portraits.
- Build your collection. Whether you love jewelry or figurines, eBay Exact allows you to create as many unique products, exactly as you like, based on your personal desires and preferences.
Currently, the number of items up for sale is quite sparse, and includes 18 cases, rings, necklaces, and figurines. More products may be added at a future date, though no information was given regarding the app's future plans.
eBay Exact is a 6.4MB free download from the App Store.
On Topic: App Store
- Google Play Music now stores 50K songs free, Apple's iTunes Match still at 25K songs for $25/year
- Tweetbot for iOS gets Twitter video and GIF support in latest update
- Google launches new YouTube Kids app on Apple's iOS
- IFTTT launches trio of new 'Do' apps alongside flagship app refresh
- NBC for iOS gains live streaming as Kayak, Snapchat and Yelp also see Apple updates