Friday, July 12, 2013, 12:19 pm PT (03:19 pm ET)
eBay debuts store for 3D printed objects with 'Exact' iOS appOnline auction and shopping giant eBay on Friday debuted Exact, an app dedicated to selling customizable 3D printed objects, like iPhone cases, jewelry, and other small items, directly from a user's handset.
To make Exact a reality, eBay partnered with three major 3D printing studios, Sculpteo, MakerBot, and Hot Pop Factory, and is offering a limited assortment of small-scale products.
With the 3D printing process, sellers are able to offer custom plastic trinkets at relatively low costs. For some products, like Sculpteo's iPhone 5 case seen above, the app features a built-in customization UI, affording customers create unique, one-of-a-kind object designs that are then fulfilled by eBay's sellers.
From the release notes:
- Bring your style to life. Choose from a variety of materials, including plastics, wood and metals. Use the engraving feature to further customize your product.
- Be the first to use new technology to create one-of-a-kind iPhone cases, jewelry, and figurines based on self-portraits.
- Build your collection. Whether you love jewelry or figurines, eBay Exact allows you to create as many unique products, exactly as you like, based on your personal desires and preferences.
Currently, the number of items up for sale is quite sparse, and includes 18 cases, rings, necklaces, and figurines. More products may be added at a future date, though no information was given regarding the app's future plans.
eBay Exact is a 6.4MB free download from the App Store.
On Topic: App Store
- Waze for Apple's iOS adds Waze Places crowdsourced POI system
- After iOS 8.0.2, Apple gives HealthKit apps the green light on iPhone App Store
- Skype for iPhone, Google Chrome updated with iOS 8 enhancements
- How to start an iOS 8 Family Sharing account to share apps, music, movies & more
- Apple updates iWork for iOS suite with support for iOS 8, stability fixes