We are currently experiencing server issues, please excuse any mess. More details are available here.
Angry Birds Star Wars sequel to launch Sept. 19 with tie-in action figuresRovio on Monday announced a follow-up to the wildly popular game that brought together Angry Birds and Star Wars, with the sequel getting a real-world play component as well.
September 19 will see Rovio launching Angry Birds Star Wars 2, though Rovio has yet to specify which platforms the game will land on. Observers note that Android and iOS are almost certainly among the launch platforms, but Windows Phone 8 could also see recognition from the game maker.
Most notable in this new release will be a real-world physical component unlike any in previous Rovio games. Angry Birds Star Wars 2 will integrate "telepods," a Hasbro-created toy that interfaces with a device's camera in order to make the depicted character appear on the screen. In this way, Rovio is taking a page from Activision's Skylanders, which uses NFC-based unit identification in order to populate games with the action figure characters.
Rovio will be showing off gameplay and likely the toys at this week's San Diego Comic-Con. When the game debuts, Rovio reps have said, it will do so with "over 30 playable characters."
On Topic: Games
- Siri joking with users in response to some Pokemon Go queries
- Free-to-play Mobius Final Fantasy arrives on Apple's iPhone and iPad
- 3rd-party Vulkan API could simplify porting graphics-intensive games to Metal on macOS, iOS
- Pokemon Go launches in France and Hong Kong as Nintendo stock plummets
- Pokemon Go comes home, launches in Japan with McDonald's sponsorship