Monday, July 15, 2013, 09:42 am PT (12:42 pm ET)
Angry Birds Star Wars sequel to launch Sept. 19 with tie-in action figuresRovio on Monday announced a follow-up to the wildly popular game that brought together Angry Birds and Star Wars, with the sequel getting a real-world play component as well.
September 19 will see Rovio launching Angry Birds Star Wars 2, though Rovio has yet to specify which platforms the game will land on. Observers note that Android and iOS are almost certainly among the launch platforms, but Windows Phone 8 could also see recognition from the game maker.
Most notable in this new release will be a real-world physical component unlike any in previous Rovio games. Angry Birds Star Wars 2 will integrate "telepods," a Hasbro-created toy that interfaces with a device's camera in order to make the depicted character appear on the screen. In this way, Rovio is taking a page from Activision's Skylanders, which uses NFC-based unit identification in order to populate games with the action figure characters.
Rovio will be showing off gameplay and likely the toys at this week's San Diego Comic-Con. When the game debuts, Rovio reps have said, it will do so with "over 30 playable characters."
On Topic: games
- Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas coming to iOS with controller support, Infinity Blade free for Black Friday
- XCOM publisher touts success with premium price point on Apple's iOS App Store
- EA making more money through Apple's iOS App Store than its own Origin service
- Rovio adds iOS-Android cross syncing for popular titles like Angry Birds
- Apple's free promotion led to 5.7M new downloads of 'Infinity Blade II'