Angry Birds Star Wars sequel to launch Sept. 19 with tie-in action figuresRovio on Monday announced a follow-up to the wildly popular game that brought together Angry Birds and Star Wars, with the sequel getting a real-world play component as well.
September 19 will see Rovio launching Angry Birds Star Wars 2, though Rovio has yet to specify which platforms the game will land on. Observers note that Android and iOS are almost certainly among the launch platforms, but Windows Phone 8 could also see recognition from the game maker.
Most notable in this new release will be a real-world physical component unlike any in previous Rovio games. Angry Birds Star Wars 2 will integrate "telepods," a Hasbro-created toy that interfaces with a device's camera in order to make the depicted character appear on the screen. In this way, Rovio is taking a page from Activision's Skylanders, which uses NFC-based unit identification in order to populate games with the action figure characters.
Rovio will be showing off gameplay and likely the toys at this week's San Diego Comic-Con. When the game debuts, Rovio reps have said, it will do so with "over 30 playable characters."
On Topic: Games
- Pokemon Go launches in France and Hong Kong as Nintendo stock plummets
- Pokemon Go comes home, launches in Japan with McDonald's sponsorship
- Square Enix to release exclusive Apple Watch game Cosmos Rings this summer
- Pokemon Go hits Canada & 26 European countries, server struggles stall Japan launch
- Pokemon Go European launch widens as T-Mobile, Sprint offer promotions for US players