Angry Birds Star Wars sequel to launch Sept. 19 with tie-in action figuresRovio on Monday announced a follow-up to the wildly popular game that brought together Angry Birds and Star Wars, with the sequel getting a real-world play component as well.
September 19 will see Rovio launching Angry Birds Star Wars 2, though Rovio has yet to specify which platforms the game will land on. Observers note that Android and iOS are almost certainly among the launch platforms, but Windows Phone 8 could also see recognition from the game maker.
Most notable in this new release will be a real-world physical component unlike any in previous Rovio games. Angry Birds Star Wars 2 will integrate "telepods," a Hasbro-created toy that interfaces with a device's camera in order to make the depicted character appear on the screen. In this way, Rovio is taking a page from Activision's Skylanders, which uses NFC-based unit identification in order to populate games with the action figure characters.
Rovio will be showing off gameplay and likely the toys at this week's San Diego Comic-Con. When the game debuts, Rovio reps have said, it will do so with "over 30 playable characters."
On Topic: Games
- Nintendo's 'Fire Emblem' & 'Animal Crossing' franchises coming to phones, tablets
- Only months after launch, 'Disney Infinity' ditches support for Apple TV
- Nintendo's first iOS app, Miitomo, launching in US on Thursday
- Sony to bring popular PlayStation titles to Apple's iOS in Asia and Japan
- As gamers await Oculus Rift's March launch, Mac users shouldn't hold their breath for support