Friday, July 19, 2013, 05:24 am PT (08:24 am ET)
Rovio adds iOS-Android cross syncing for popular titles like Angry BirdsRovio, the maker of the now-ubiquitous Angry Birds series, has introduced a new cross-platform account that allows gamers to pick up where they left off, whether playing a title on Apple's iOS or Google's Android.
The new Rovio Account is now available for free on both iOS and Android. The feature has been in testing for a few months, but is now open to all who play titles from the company.
At launch, Rovio Account is compatible with two titles: the original Angry Birds. and The Croods. The company has promised to continue rolling out Rovio Account to all of its other titles, including numerous entries in the Angry Birds franchise.
Players can sign up for an account by starting an Angry Birds game and pressing the account button, or tapping the "Register" button in The Croods. After registering for a Rovio Account, users will be sent a verification email. Users must be at least 13 years old.
Apple currently offers cross-platform support for titles with both its Game Center social service and iCloud syncing service. But those capabilities are restricted only to Apple devices.
The launch of Rovio Account paves the way for the developer to expand to even more platforms beyond iOS and Android. The Angry Birds franchise is also available on Mac, Windows 8, Windows Phone, Xbox 360, PlayStation 3, and Kindle, among others.
On Topic: games
- Moga teases new Bluetooth game controller for Apple's iOS ahead of possible March unveiling
- Review: SteelSeries Stratus portable wireless gaming controller for iPhone & iPad
- Review: Moga Ace Power Game Controller for Apple's iPhone
- Rovio's Angry Birds Go! racing game hits Apple's App Store
- Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas coming to iOS with controller support, Infinity Blade free for Black Friday