Wednesday, August 14, 2013, 10:04 pm PT (01:04 am ET)
Long awaited 'Plants vs. Zombies 2: It's About Time' for iOS now availablePopCap Games on Thursday released "Plants vs. Zombies 2: It's About Time" for iOS, the follow up to the publisher's addicting bestseller first released for the Windows and OS X desktop operating systems in 2009.
Plants vs. Zombies 2: It's About Time continues the frantic touch-based tower defense-style gameplay from 2010's iOS port, but adds in new characters, environments and, most for the first time, a "freemium" payment model.
While the original Plants vs. Zombies for iOS was, and still is, a for-pay game, the sequel is free to play. Instead of paying up front, users have the option to make in-app purchases for special plants and game currency.
While the first game was limited to a backyard setting, Plants vs. Zombies 2 moves through time in "Ancient Egypt," the "Pirate Seas," and the "Wild West." Each world has its own unique attacking enemies and game boards, while the selection of defending plants features some new characters.
Plants vs. Zombies 2 is a free 44.7MB download from the App Store.
On Topic: App Store
- How to start an iOS 8 Family Sharing account to share apps, music, movies & more
- Apple updates iWork for iOS suite with support for iOS 8, stability fixes
- Apple updates iMovie for iOS with new filters, speed controls, Photo app integration, more
- Apple issues iOS 8 compatibility updates for Beats Music, Find My Friends, others
- Rumor: Apple in late-stage talks to buy Path social platform