Tuesday, September 10, 2013, 02:22 pm PT (05:22 pm ET)
iPhone 5c default wallpapers will match external shell colorsSeemingly going the extra mile to celebrate its colorful new array of lower-cost iPhones, Apple will ship the iPhone 5c with a default wallpaper that matches the color of each unit.
The new iPhone 5c, which features a seamless polycarbonate shell available in green, blue, red, yellow, and white, will ship to customers, carriers, and Apple Stores with default wallpapers and translucency hues to match the color of its exterior casing.
In both its keynote presentation and the marketing materials for the device, Apple is pushing the different color options for the 5c as a major selling point. To supplement "the most colorful iPhone yet," Apple has also come out with a range of cases in the same color options as the 5c, but the company clearly intends for users to mix and match them for novel color combinations.
Despite the clever customization, buyers of the new iPhone may want to experiment with their backgrounds at some point. The iOS 7 operating system the 5c runs was designed to create a sense of space, with a parallax feature built in that makes the Jony Ive-designed flat iconography appear to be in motion when the device is tilted.
The iPhone 5c will launch on September 20 starting at $99 for an on-contract 16GB model. A higher-end model, 32GB model will be available for $199 on subsidy, while an off-contract, unlocked version will retail for $549. The 5c will be available for pre-order starting September 13.
On Topic: iPhone
- AT&T drops price of 2GB no-contract plan by $15, T-Mobile doubles down on 'Simple Choice'
- Report: iPhone 5s to soon account for 1 in 5 iPhones, 5c growth stagnant
- Russia's Megafon deal with Apple, Inc. guarantees sales of 750k iPhones over 3 years
- Pebble adds eBay, Evernote & Time Warner as latest smart watch app partners
- Apple continues to add share in U.S. smartphone market, now holds 42%