First look: Evutec's iPhone cases bond wood with Kevlar fiberWooden iPhone cases are usually a bulky affair, sacrificing thinness to maintain rigidity with a natural look. But Evutec is at the Consumer Electronics Show this week showcasing its unique solution that adds strength thanks to an infusion of Kevlar fiber.
Evutec told AppleInsideron Thursday that its Karbon S Series Snap Cases, at just 0.7 millimeters thin, are the thinnest wooden option for iPhone users on the market. They're constructed out of multiple layers of real wood veneer, infused with a Kevlar outer shell made by DuPont, and include a removable shock-proof liner.
We found that these cases are particularly unique because of the thinness offered by the wood-and-Kevlar design. Traditionally, we have found that wooden cases can add huge bulk, and are prone to break when a phone has been dropped.
But Evutec's cases seem flexible and durable — so much so that Apple currently exclusively sells its iPhone 5 and 5s cases directly from its online store for $39.95. And because the Sleek Series case doesn't contain any metal properties, it won't block GPS, Wi-Fi or cellular signal, like some other options will.
The wooden cases from Evutec are available in both bamboo and ebony, and have been crafted for Apple's both iPhone 5s and iPhone 5. The "Karbon S" case for iPhone 5 and iPhone 5s is also exclusive to Apple's retail and online stores, and is currently available.
Evutec's "Karbon SP" line of Kevlar cases are also designed for the iPhone 5 and iPhone 5s, while the "Karbon S" products are available for the iPad mini and second- through fourth-generation iPads. Those options can be purchased from the company's website.
On Topic: General
- Apple, Silicon Valley raised millions to fund Hillary Clinton platform backing tech's positions on encryption, privacy, innovation, patents, education
- Disney said to be weighing Twitter purchase to bolster online video efforts
- Sonos brings PLAY:1 & PLAY:5 speakers to Apple's online & retail stores
- Photos show Apple's newly relocated & revamped Brea Mall store [u]
- This week on AI: iPhone 7 & Apple Watch Series 2 review, McLaren buyout rumors, macOS Sierra launch & more