Saturday, March 08, 2014, 04:29 pm PT (07:29 pm ET)
AT&T drops price of 2GB no-contract plan by $15, T-Mobile doubles down on 'Simple Choice'The wireless carrier price wars continue this weekend as AT&T and T-Mobile respectively announced price cuts and new data incentives for subscribers.
T-Mobile on Friday announced Simple Choice customers will soon have 1GB of 4G LTE data per month added to their account for free, effectively doubling the amount data previously allotted to the entry-level price tier. More data is available in 2GB chunks for an additional $10 per month.
Simple Choice customers will also get unlimited global texting from the U.S. and while abroad from 122 countries and destinations.
Along with the bonus data, the telecom quietly raised the price of its unlimited 4G LTE data option to $30, up from $20 per month. Terms still include 5GB of tethered data use.
T-Mobile's new pricing scheme is scheduled to take effect on Mar. 23, while the unlimited texting feature is set for activation in April.
As for AT&T, the nation's second-largest wireless telecom announced plans to cut pricing for single- and two-line no-contract accounts.
Starting Sunday, single-line Mobile Share Value plans will drop $15 to start at $65 for 2GB of data, unlimited talk and text, unlimited international messaging and 50GB of cloud storage. Two-line accounts start at $90 for the same services.
To go along with the new deal, AT&T is offering a $100 bill credit for activating a new line of postpaid service, including smartphones, tablets, mobile hotspots and feature phones.
On Topic: iPhone
- Australian Apple Stores met with long lines as worldwide iPhone 6 and 6 Plus sales begin, Angela Ahrendts on hand [u]
- Photographer takes iPhone 6 and 6 Plus to Iceland, details major enhancements over iPhone 5s
- Apple's iPhone 6 & 6 Plus gain radio certification in China, but release date still uncertain
- Apple opens Touch ID to third-party applications with iOS 8
- Despite record output, Foxconn unable to keep up with massive iPhone 6 demand