Shazam gets in-app music streaming with Rdio integrationMusic and television show discovery app Shazam on Monday rolled out an update that integrates Internet radio service Rdio, offering in-app track streaming to users of both products.
As noted by Billboard, the latest version of Shazam now features full playback of "Shazamed" songs through a partnership with Rdio.
The new functionality only applies to current subscribers of Rdio's for-pay service, who can listen to full versions of songs by clicking on the Rdio Preview button. Shazam users who are not subscribers and do not yet have the app installed will be prompted to do so upon pressing the "Preview."
"It's tedious to leave and come back," said Shazam's chief product officer Daniel Danker. "What we're launching today is supercharged with Rdio — the play button gets an Rdio logo in it, literally every play button in Shazam will have one once it's connected."
With the new integration, users will no longer be kicked out of Shazam to a third-party app when they want to listen to the entire version of a discovered track. The seamless integration is a step toward a more unified listening experience, one that doesn't "disrupt that magic," Danker said.
Apple in June announced that it will be partnering with Shazam to incorporate the service's content recognition features into iOS 8. More specifically, users of the forthcoming OS can ask Siri to identify songs with a simple voice command.
Shazam version 7.7.0 is a free 29.8MB download from the iOS App Store. Users will need to also install Rdio, which is also a free app coming in at 40.8MB.
On Topic: App Store
- Federal appeals court declines to stay Smartflash case against Apple
- Yahoo debuts Livetext silent video messaging app
- This week on AppleInsider: Apple's record Q3, 'Apple Car' news, Back to School promo & more
- App Store puts 100 iOS titles on sale for 99 cents, YouTube app updated with 'vertical video' support
- Apple celebrates 25th anniversary of the Americans with Disabilities Act with App Store collection