Shazam gets in-app music streaming with Rdio integrationMusic and television show discovery app Shazam on Monday rolled out an update that integrates Internet radio service Rdio, offering in-app track streaming to users of both products.
As noted by Billboard, the latest version of Shazam now features full playback of "Shazamed" songs through a partnership with Rdio.
The new functionality only applies to current subscribers of Rdio's for-pay service, who can listen to full versions of songs by clicking on the Rdio Preview button. Shazam users who are not subscribers and do not yet have the app installed will be prompted to do so upon pressing the "Preview."
"It's tedious to leave and come back," said Shazam's chief product officer Daniel Danker. "What we're launching today is supercharged with Rdio — the play button gets an Rdio logo in it, literally every play button in Shazam will have one once it's connected."
With the new integration, users will no longer be kicked out of Shazam to a third-party app when they want to listen to the entire version of a discovered track. The seamless integration is a step toward a more unified listening experience, one that doesn't "disrupt that magic," Danker said.
Apple in June announced that it will be partnering with Shazam to incorporate the service's content recognition features into iOS 8. More specifically, users of the forthcoming OS can ask Siri to identify songs with a simple voice command.
Shazam version 7.7.0 is a free 29.8MB download from the iOS App Store. Users will need to also install Rdio, which is also a free app coming in at 40.8MB.
On Topic: App Store
- Lyft, Seamless & Amazon Instant Video add iPhone 6 & 6 Plus screen support; JetBlue gains Touch ID
- Algoriddim djay Pro comes to Mac, TurboTax debuts new iOS app for tax season
- Apple to instate country-specific app taxes in EU starting Jan. 1
- Pixelmator unveils major updates for iPad and Mac, Fleksy adds extensions and GIFs
- Updated Google Drive gets iOS 8 extensibility support, Instagram adds filter management and new filters