This week on the AppleInsider podcast, Neil and Victor talk about the almost-certainty that is an LTE-enabled Apple Watch, pricing and affordability on the "iPhone 8," Tim Cook's leadership following the events that took place in Charlottesville, Va., and CarPlay.
AppleInsider editors Neil Hughes and Victor Marks discuss:
- Three sources suggest we're going to see an LTE-enabled Apple Watch soon. It looks like it might be data-only, without calling enabled. Victor believes this enhances Siri as a voice-first interface.
- We talk about how well-suited the Apple iPhone Upgrade Program is to helping people afford the rumoured expensive "iPhone 8" over time.
- Also, the new "iPhone 8" color could be called 'blush gold'
- Tim Cook's open letter following the violence and murder in Charlottesville, Va., and his actions that show where Apple stands.
- Including, Apple disabling Apple Pay for websites that sell white supremacist products.
- Apple to spend as much as $1 billion on creating television shows.
- PSA: Longer Thunderbolt cables do not work well. Cables longer than 0.5m do not generally support USB 3.1 speeds.
- "iPhone 7s" rumoured to be very slightly larger than the iPhone 7 with glass back. Will your cases fit?
- More Smart Connector enabled products for iPad Pro on the way? Neil rejoices.
- Sony releases their second-generation CarPlay radio.
- Victor takes listener questions on CarPlay and talks about the Alpine ILX-107 Wireless CarPlay experience a little more.
The show is available on iTunes and your favorite podcast apps by searching for "AppleInsider." Click here to listen, subscribe, and don't forget to rate our show.
Listen to the embedded SoundCloud feed below:
Show note links:
- Check this out: First come, first served: AppleInsider readers can use exclusive coupons this week to instantly save between $70 and $250 on every new Mid 2017 MacBook Pro, including Apple's 13" MacBook Pro with Touch Bar and 15" MacBook Pro with Touch Bar. In addition to the promo code and instant cash savings, sales tax will not be collected on orders shipped outside NY and NJ. Killer Deals: Save $70 to $250 instantly on Apple's Mid 2017 MacBook Pros, plus no tax in 48 states; AirPods in stock with free 2-day shipping
- Apple Watch with LTE may not support cellular voice calls at launch, instead focus on data
- Report corroborates fall Apple Watch refresh with LTE connectivity, same design
- Rumors tap Apple's new 'iPhone 8' color as 'blush gold,' models coming in 64 & 128GB
- Barclays survey suggests Apple's iPhone Upgrade Program well suited for 'iPhone 8' pricing
- Apple CEO Tim Cook addresses Charlottesville, company to donate $2M to fight hate
- Apple disables Apple Pay for websites selling white supremacist goods
- Apple to spend $1B on original content for up to 10 new TV shows over next year
- PSA: Thunderbolt 3 cables longer than 0.5m generally don't support USB 3.1 speeds
- Apple's glass-backed 'iPhone 7s' rumored to be slightly bigger in all dimensions, except for lens bump
- Apple says more Smart Connector products for iPad Pro are coming
- Sony previews new XAV-AX200 receiver with Apple CarPlay support
Follow our hosts on Twitter: @thisisneil and @vmarks.
Feedback and comments are always appreciated. Please contact the AppleInsider podcast at firstname.lastname@example.org and follow us on Twitter @appleinsider, plus Facebook and Instagram.
Those interested in sponsoring the show can reach out to us at email@example.com.